Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of admission  (Read 1744 times)

Cvolz

Chances of admission
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm a rising junior at ASU...I am a triple major in math biochem and econ with a 3.9. I have taken a handful of practice LSATs and have done very well (low of 175 high of 180) I know that law school admissions is basically LSAt and gpa but I assume that other things must come into play at top 5 schools like HYSCC, which is what I'm interested in. So my question is this...what could I do to improve my chances of admission at elite schools in terms of soft factors and how does my triple major look considering how nontraditional that combo is. Thanks in advance

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of admission
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:07:48 PM »
a 3.9 triple major GPA and a 180 LSAT? Hmmmm
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Cvolz

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:09:28 AM »
prolly lower...about 176 or 177 and im not trolling i really do want an honest opinion

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
prolly lower...about 176 or 177 and im not trolling i really do want an honest opinion

A leadership position is probably the only thing you could do to enhance your chances.  Your numbers are exceptional.  I'd say you're on your way.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
oh only a 177? In that case....
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Cvolz

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
but there must be no shortage of people with stats like that and better at top schools....getting some more leadership is a good idea for sure but do you know how they view multiple majors?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:30 AM »
Has anyone ever gotten a 180 LSAT? Ever in history? They don't really care too much about anyone with less than 5 majors.

Cvolz

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
plenty of people do that well ever year....dont be bitter cuz just you screwed up....2.8 158?......niiiiice...bet harvard was begging for ya huh?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
No one. I mean no one has scored a perfect 180 in the past 20 years, if ever.  Don't assume you know my position. I'm not "bitter" because of me. I'm "bitter" because you are full of shi.t.

I will say that I am both young enough to remember and old enough to recognize childhood optimism.  The world isn't like you think it will be. Not saying its bad, but you'll see. 

A sophomore scoring a 177-180? Dude. You're probably a kid speculating perfection in a world where its intentionally denied- LSAC does not want anyone scoring 180. If you score a 180, no law school in the U.S. or Canada will turn you down. If anything for the novelty of enrolling a record breaker.  So drop some of those majors, one or two- your call, and sit back, with a 180 you can get in anywhere regardless of you UGPA.

FYI, 158 isn't a bad score- top %20ish, maybe. If you had said you gotten a 158 or even a 168, I'd have found you slightly credible.  But a perfect score, nah. Not to mention there does not seem to be much thought to the relation of you choice of three majors.

Cvolz

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
A) youre just wrong about that....about 20-30 people every year get 180's....its not like the MCAT where a 45 only comes around once every few years....hell on a lot of tests you can get 3 wrong and still get a 180. Its not unheard of at all and as for scores like 176 and 177...number of people getting those scores is in the hundreds every year if not the thousands
B) I'm doing that many majors for two reasons....i needed to do somethin else if i was gonna have enough hours to maintain my scholarship for 4 years and because i am thinking about med school as well...idk which way i wanna go
C) This a LOGIC test my friend which means that age (especially one year) is going to have very little impact on score....and i am not speculating at all...i took three practice test and my scores in order were 178 175 and 180....i also timed the tests to make sure i wasnt taking too long

all this is to say....other things are probably necessary to get you into a top school and i was simply asking for the opinion of people who have experience with the application process at top schools. I really have no need for your comments.....i'll ask you if i ever need to drop my gpa a point and screw up the lsat but until then kindly get off my thread.

ps.....158 is not top 20%    http://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsat-score-conversion/