Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: full ride Brooklyn v full price fordham  (Read 2933 times)

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: full ride Brooklyn v full price fordham
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »
You are probably right, but all I am saying is check and be dilligent about it. A quick statement from the financial aid office saying top 80% we have a really great policy is insuffiicnet. If you went to a car dealer and they said this car gets great gas mileage, it is safe, it is the best value out there and a great deal. You woulldn't just take him at his word. The car salesman is trying to sell you the car and they are not lying or doing anythign wrong, but they have a bottom line to sell you that car. They want you to enjoy the car, think they are a nice guy, all that good stuff, but they want the money first and foremost.

Law school is no different they will tell you all the great things they offer, all the policies they changed, etc. Every law school does want you to succeed and do well as a lawyer, but they are businesses first and foremost and money is the bottom line. So all I am saying is ask again and again how it is calcuated as the example I gave above illustartes schools can manipulate the numbers in a vareity of ways. Also don't be afraid to bargain for better terms say I will come if you can guarntee me the scholarship for all three years if I stay in good standing. Law students have all the power in June & July the schools are hustling to fill their seats and you have a good chance of getting benefits if you ask for them espeically considering you must be far above their numbers if they are offering you that much money.

My advice may be 100% wrong, but you really have nothing to lose by making sure you are getting the best deal possible. The law school you select may be one of the biggest investments in your life make sure you leave no stone unturned.

I also want to point my posts are not meant to reflect negatively on Brooklyn in anyway I am sure it is a fine school, but no matter what school your attending you should negotiate, ask questions, etc.

tdawg7669

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »
I emailed the dean directly. Im not judging you, Im just clarifying for anybody who was wondering as I was skeptical at first too. Also I think it is now an ABA requirement that schools give full disclosure on scholarship retention stats/requirements. Even still the huge class size at Brooklyn scares me(not for scholarship purposes). Same for Fordham. I get a bad vibe from schools with giant class sizes(except for Harvard and the like obviously) in an already saturated legal market.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »
If you pay sticker at Fordham, you're gonna have a bad time.  Brooklyn way is the only way.  Just be prepared to drop out if you lose your scholly.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
I got into Indiana Bloomington and Baylor with full-rides; something like that.  If that were the case now, I'd consider going to one of them.  But that's in light of the fact that I already was admitted, accepted, and then attended a top-twenty law school.
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07