Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My 1L neighbor is driving me crazy  (Read 2533 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: My 1L neighbor is driving me crazy
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
yes, yes.  but how much on crank?

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:10 AM »
I'm actually surprised that people speak of GGU like it's a terrible school. I have never attended GGU, but the only two attorney's that I know of who graduated from GGU are some of the best attorney's in my area. One particular graduate, is the only attorney in the area who has filed three successful lawsuits against my employer and won every single case, lol. (The guy is known for being a shark in the courtroom)

A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran

NiceOne

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Preparation Services
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 04:35:15 AM »
Nice...

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
I'm actually surprised that people speak of GGU like it's a terrible school. I have never attended GGU, but the only two attorney's that I know of who graduated from GGU are some of the best attorney's in my area. One particular graduate, is the only attorney in the area who has filed three successful lawsuits against my employer and won every single case, lol. (The guy is known for being a shark in the courtroom)

If you're going into practice for yourself, especially in the plaintiff's bar, then where you go to school probably doesn't matter so much.

For every other job, it matters a lot.

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 02:49:35 AM »
The Attorney I'm speaking of who graduated from GGU, was a retired Deputy Sheriff who also teaches criminal law at the local Police Academy. I took a class from him several years ago, and then later I discovered his fierce reputation in the courtroom. Again, I've never attended GGU, but if he is any indication of what they produce, then GGU can't be all that bad IMO.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »
The Attorney I'm speaking of who graduated from GGU, was a retired Deputy Sheriff who also teaches criminal law at the local Police Academy. I took a class from him several years ago, and then later I discovered his fierce reputation in the courtroom. Again, I've never attended GGU, but if he is any indication of what they produce, then GGU can't be all that bad IMO.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Law School doesn't really produce attorneys.  Pretty much every ABA accredited law school uses the same books, and with a few exceptions, all the profs come from the same schools. 

Thing is, in the law, moreso than in any other profession I can think of offhand, the school you go to stays with you for the rest of your life.  In business, the school you go to usually doesn't mean squat once you've been working 2 or 3 years. 

GGU will, absolutely, close some doors to you, forever.  If you want to ignore this reality, go right ahead. 

However, it doesn't prevent you from becoming a great attorney.  You just have to have that within you. 

Whether by design or default, almost all the areas of the law I want to practice don't really require a top degree from a top school.  $160,000 is a lot of money, but for 70 hours a week?  Of course, the type of attorney who gets that starting salary is probably not big on work/life balance... at least not at first. 

So, getting a degree from GGU allows you to sit for the bar exam in all 50 states.  What you do with it beyond that is your business.  Is it worse than, say, most other 4Ts?  Who knows.  Who cares.  If that's the best school you can attend, then go there.  Then, practice in areas where a prestigious degree doesn't matter much.

If you can go to a better school, though, you'd be a fool not to.  Don't point to anectdotes and think that this is a roadmap.  Otherwise, everybody in the country would be going to Texas Tech to be the nation's biggest plaintiff's attorney like Mark Lanier.