Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn vs. St. John's full tuition at both  (Read 2140 times)

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brooklyn vs. St. John's full tuition at both
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:55 AM »
SJU recently changed their scholarship retention rules. Previously, they only required top 1/2 to maintain the scholarship. Now they've implemented a gradated retention policy...

If a studentís class rank, after each academic
year, places him or her in the upper 40% of the studentís
class, the student will retain 100% of the scholarship. If the
class rank places the student in the upper 55% of his or her
class, the student will retain 75% of the scholarship. If the
class rank places the student in the upper 65% of the class,
the student will retain 55% of the scholarship.

St. Johnís School of Law
Student Handbook 2011-12
Page 33
http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/graduate/law/current/handbook

The BLS site doesn't have the information as readily available. With all other factors being equal, the BLS route sounds like the safer money bet. Having visited both schools before applying, I can assure you that all factors are NOT equal between the two. If you have a preference for SJU over BLS, then I'd strongly suggest you bring your offer to their attention and see if they'll match it...

Good luck either way...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

tdawg7669

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »
Honestly the only thing I care about is job placement. Brooklyn scares me a bit because they have a much bigger class size and it seems that St. John's actually places better. I dont know what to do.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
Again this is not an easy decision, but the reality is no school anywhere guarantees you a job. Schools of this caliber will require you to do your own networking and job hunting and I sincerely doubt many employers would look at these schools much differently. However, I know absolutely nothing about the NY legal market so don't take my opinion to seriously.

IMHO you can look at employment numbers tell your blue in the face, but they really don't mean much. Schools at all levels play with the data in their favor and anti-law school people manipulate it another way. In my law school experience people that were normal, hard-working, smart, all that good stuff found jobs. The weird, loud, obnoxious, snobby guy in the back usually didn't find employment. I imagine that is the case wherever you go to school.

There are a few select schools where the pedigree really means something, but they are few and far between and neither of these are on that level. Again good luck whatever you decide.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
"The weird, loud, obnoxious, snobby guy in the back ususally didn't find employment." I love it! That describes about half the people I went to law school with.

OP: I don't live in NY and I have no experience with the NY market, but if a firm or government agency is willing to hire from St. John's wouldn't they be willing to hire from Brooklyn? The possibility of retaining the $$$ at Brooklyn is much better, and less debt will give you greater freedom and less stress after graduation. Something to think about.