Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn vs. St. John's full tuition at both  (Read 2034 times)

tdawg7669

• View Profile
Brooklyn vs. St. John's full tuition at both
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »
I was all set to go to St. Johns, put my seat deposit down and everything. I just got a scholarship upgrade from Brooklyn. Now according to lawschooltransparency.com St. John's actually has slightly better stats in regards to employment. They are also much more transparent. However the renewal stips for Brooklyn are much better.

The stipulation is top 80% for Brooklyn to renew and top 40% at St. John's to renew all of it.

I have about ten days to put down a deposit for Brooklyn if I want to go there.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn vs. St. John's full tuition at both
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:11 AM »
This is really a no-brainer for me.  Brooklyn, hands down.

Both schools are in the same market.  Brooklyn has MUCH better scholarship terms and has a better USNWR ranking.  Though St. John's reported stats might be slightly better, that still doesn't outweigh the superior scholarship terms at Brooklyn.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
I was all set to go to St. Johns, put my seat deposit down and everything. I just got a scholarship upgrade from Brooklyn. Now according to lawschooltransparency.com St. John's actually has slightly better stats in regards to employment. They are also much more transparent. However the renewal stips for Brooklyn are much better.

The stipulation is top 80% for Brooklyn to renew and top 40% at St. John's to renew all of it.

I have about ten days to put down a deposit for Brooklyn if I want to go there.

What's your total COA for both?  40% STIP is awful, 80% isn't too bad.  If cost is equivalent go Brooklyn. 

tdawg7669

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
Im not sure, as I might be able to stay with family who is 20 minutes away from Brooklyn law and 30 minutes away from St. John's.

Im considering retaking the lsat since I didnt study enough and basically took it hungover. Then again I dont really want to do big law and I want to go to law school for free to avoid debt. With my 3.6 GPA, I am not sure if I would get a full scholly from any higher ranked school in NY even with a higher lsat.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
Before I begin first take everything you read here including my advice with a grain of salt anonymous internet posters myself included give you  the least reliable source of information you could possibly recieve.

As for the lawschooltransparency stats that really doesn't mean anything. There are students who get jobs that never report their salary. When I started working  I never took the time fill out the survey not because I wasn't working I just kept saying I would do it later, but later eventually became never which through your own life experience has probably happend in other situations.

We all have little things like that which we put off and never get done filling out a law school employment survey was not on the top my  priority list when I was a new attorney trying to prove myself, dealing with family, friends, all the things that life puts in your way. My survey simply got lost in the shuffle. I imagine that happens to many people which is the reason so many schoosl have unreported information.  What lawschooltransparency is doing is great, but don't take that information to seriously the unreported students are often unreported for a large number of reasons that have nothing to do with being unemployed.

As to the actual question being in the top 80% is much easier to do than being in the top 40%, but ask detailed questions about what this entails. I have heard of some schools making it top percentage in a section or making the grades all equal to put may people in a tie who knows if any of that is true, but this is money being given to you and ask detalied questions about what it entails. What is the school curve, how many people have scholarships, how many people lose them annually, you have a 100,000 on the line so do not be shy about grilling them and getting every last bit of info you can. If you don't ask the questions they are not going to tell you the answers. If they are squirmy about answering that should raise a red-flag.

Also if St. Johns conditions are worse bargain with them to get better ones. So many 0L's seem so scared to do this, but right now you have the leverage use it. St. John's wants your numbers and so does Brooklyn they want a qualified applicant (you) in a seat at their school. You have the power right now so ask for more money or better conditions you have absoultey nothing to lose by doing this. Your scholarship will not be revoked for asking for more I got an extra 5k a year on my scholarship simply by asking for it. Remember once your enrolled your stuck and the leverage is gone, but now the ball is in your court see what you can get. Remember throughout the whole process law schools are a business and your a customer do not be scared to get everything you can out of the school, because they will get everything they can out of you. If you don't fight for yourself they are not going to do it for you. 

If all things stay the same Brooklyn is probably the better option unless there is something you really enjoy about St. Johns. Each school has a culture to it and professors, administrators, campus activities, all that stuff is going to matter for the next three years. I remember really just getting a bad feeling about some schools I visited and others I really liked and it has to do with my own subjective opinions. If you hate the location of Brooklyn, the professors you interact with, and the admins you meet it might be a misreable experience for you. That is your own personal decision and a question only you can answer. 

As to retaking the LSAT I never think that is a good idea. If you wait another year life will get in the way. You will meet a girl/guy, some new job opportunity will come up, a parent will get sick, or your LSAT doesn't improve, but you think you will do better on it next time. You have made the decision to go and you have two very good options if being a lawyer is what you want to do then now is the time to do it.

If I were going to make the decision based on the facts you provided given that I know absolutley nothing about you, your situation, your likes, your dislikes, or what is best for you I would choose Brooklyn based on the scholarship conditions if they are in fact more favorable. However, remember when reading stuff on the internet that nobody knows what is best for you and this is 3 years of your life, 100k of your money, and your legal career so do what is best for you and take whatever anyone says on this board, in U.S. News, or other legal websites under heavy scrutiny, because none of these sources could possilby know better than you what the best option for you is.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
Go with the money.  Less debt will give you a lot more freedom and less stress if you can't find a job right away. 

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
OP: I don't mean this to sound rude (seriously, I don't), but are you sure about that top 80% stip from Brooklyn? Are you sure they don't mean that you must be ranked at or above the 80th percentile (top 20%)? The reason I ask is because I've never seen such a generous stip. The best I've ever seen require that the student remain in "good standing", which could easily be above the top 80%, depending on the school.

I have no idea what the curve is at Brooklyn, but it seems at least questionable that a school would allow you to retain a scholarship if you are ranked in the bottom 20%. I'm not challenging your honesty, OP, I'm merely suggesting that you ask Brooklyn some questions.

tdawg7669

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
I confirmed it with the dean of admissions, since I didnt believe it at first either. Here is the email he sent me:

Lisle Scholarship………………………..$8,900

Academic Achievement Sclrsp... $8,250

Centennial Grant……………………..  $3,000

Dean’s Merit Scholarship……….. $24,850

Subtotal …………………………………………….$45,000  To retain these, you must stay out of the bottom 20% of the class.

Stipend………………………………………$5,000  To retain this, you must remain in good standing.

Total…………………………………………………..$50,000

It is also on their admitted student's website. This is a new policy. It was different for the last 3 incoming classes.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
OP: I don't mean this to sound rude (seriously, I don't), but are you sure about that top 80% stip from Brooklyn? Are you sure they don't mean that you must be ranked at or above the 80th percentile (top 20%)? The reason I ask is because I've never seen such a generous stip. The best I've ever seen require that the student remain in "good standing", which could easily be above the top 80%, depending on the school.

I have no idea what the curve is at Brooklyn, but it seems at least questionable that a school would allow you to retain a scholarship if you are ranked in the bottom 20%. I'm not challenging your honesty, OP, I'm merely suggesting that you ask Brooklyn some questions.

It is odd but I've seen that stip come out from Brooklyn before. 

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal. Unless you have some particular reason for attending SJU, I'd go for Brooklyn in a heartbeat. Remaining in the top 80% is a heck of a lot easier than top 40%.

Good Luck!