Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC vs GULC ????  (Read 1456 times)

Mgill90

• View Profile
    • Email
USC vs GULC ????
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
I really need to decide where to go!! Purely on its face, which school?? (not just b/c rankings though) I grew up in Washington D.C. and have lived and attended school in Los Angeles the last 3 years.

Anti09

• View Profile
Re: USC vs GULC ????
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
Entirely depends on where you want to work.  If you want L.A., go USC.  If you want DC/NYU, go GULC.  Nice options tho.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
Yeah, the previous post pretty much nails it. They're both good schools, but you'll have better connections to the immediate region at each. Georgetown might have bit of an edge in terms of national reputation, but you really can't go wrong with either. Congrats!

Mgill90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, I really want to go to USC but everyone made me waver when they talked about the rankings.  Thanks for the help! GO TROJANS!

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »
Unless we're talking about basketball, in which case...GO BRUINS! Sorry, I'm obligated.

Mgill90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
haha i agree, I am a Bruin now ;)

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
I attended 'SC law.  If I had the choice back then between 'SC and GULC, then I'm pretty sure I would have chosen GULC.  Part of the reason I attended 'SC was to live in Hollywood and make a last ditch effort at rock 'n' roll stardom. 

I believe that either USC or GULC is good because both are global.  My hunch is that GULC has the edge.  I take into consideration the parent universities.       
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
I'm not sure I'd agree that both are "global", which I assume means that they have international reputations? Both are very good schools, but the vast, overwhelming majority of grads from either school stay in the U.S. In fact, in the case of USC, the majority of grads stay in California. Of course it's possible to score an international job from either school, but I think of "global" law schools (if they exist) as being Harvard, Yale, etc.

As far as taking the parent universities into account, I'd agree with you that Georgetown has an edge. There's always been a dichotomy with USC: some of its grad programs (law, medicine, film) are very well respected, but undergrad not so much. If you can afford the tuition, it seems that SC undergrad will accept just about anyone. Paris Hilton went there, need I say more?

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Since this was posted over a month ago I imagine your decision has been made, but if not there is a lot more to consider than what U.S. news or anonymous internet posters like myself tell you to do. Take it all with a grain of salt.

First and foremost location is paramount above everything else. Are you from L.A do you have friends, family, and a whole support group there already? Moving across country to D.C. will impact that and law students have emotions you do have time to be a human being, you will miss people, all of that stuff and if you go through that your first year performance may be impacted. I have no idea where your from your relationships or anything like that and neither does U.S. News or any poster that is individual consideration.

Furthermore, if you just happen to be from California have you dealt with a winter before? I remember in law school we read a case about a Notre Dame Law student from L.A. who got killed because he didn't realize the dangers of driving in the snow. This shows you that law school does not exist in a vaccum. I would like to find the case, but I don't feel like paying Westlaw for the benefit of proving my point. There are also just cultural differences between L.A. and D.C. and you will have to acclimate to them. Maybe you are very good at adapting to new situations maybe you are not only you know the answer to that question.

The reality is if your not familiar with one of these places the culture, distance from people you care about, weather, all these things will impact your educational experience and that is why law school is a PERSONAL DECISION. Take everything you read from U.S. News or anonymous internet posters that know nothing about under serious scrutiny.

On top of this after spending three years in a geographic location and going through law school you will make friends, you will have an apartment, likely get into a romantic relationship, and simply build roots in either L.A or D.C. Many OL's don't consider the long-term ramifications of this and just think they can up and move at graduation. Some people do and it certainly happens, but most people stick around because of one or more of those factors. If you have been in a two year-relationship just moving back to whereever you came from is going to be hard. Maybe you will your apartment and won't want to give it up. You make a ton of friends in school and want to stick together these are all things to think about. If you are really close to your family and your stuck deciding between the life you built in law school v. moving back home it will be a very difficult decision.

Remember U.S. News, Anonymous internet posters, etc don't take into account these realities of being a living, breathing, human being. Although law is tough you will have time to have things bring you down and life still happens while in law school, during the bar, and even when your lawyer. So consider your own personal situation above everything else.

Employment also falls under this category. Professors, LCS, etc at USC will have more connections in L.A than in D.C. While professors, LCS at Georgetown will have more connections in D.C. If your goal is to work for the Federal Government then go to D.C. as that is where the Federal Government is. Never forget your common sense when making this decision many law students myself included as a OL don't think it through.

VISIT THE SCHOOLS:
Each school has a culture and visit them see how you fit in.  Again not only do the cities the schools are located in have an impact on your experience, but how you feel about the school is going to matter a lot more than what U.S. News or some blowhard on the internet like me thinks. I imagine both campuses are beautiful, but I have never set foot on either one. The aesthetics alone are only one thing to consider talk to the professors you will have first year see if you like them or not. The professors are who will help you out and who will teach you the law. If the property professor at Georgetown is an awful human being, that you couldn't stand to be in a room with for a minute it is going to be a long semester. You probably will do poorly in the class,  won't get a reference etc. (I have no idea who the property professor just making hypo I'm sure whoever teaches there is great)

It is very possible that you may hate the hypothetical professor, but someone else may love them there are quite a few difference of opinions on personalities, teaching style, and so forth. What someone else loves you may hate and vice versa so visit these schools talk to professors, students, admins, and see if YOU like it.

REALITY OF LEGAL EDUCATION:
No matter where you go first year at any ABA school will consist of the following. Torts, Civil Procedure, Contracts, Property, LRW, Criminal Law, Con Law, Crim Pro. There may be variations, but you will take at least 5 of those courses during first year. In those courses you will read Supreme Court cases out of the same textbook and Palsgraff in Torts, Hadley v. Baxendale in Contracts, Miranda in Crim Pro, Pennoyer in Civil Procedure will be taught in every law school classroom from Harvard to Cooley.

The point is the education is more or less the same at every ABA school.

COST:
One thing that is universal at every school, in ever location, no matter how much you love or hate the school is debt. 100,000 dollars is the cost of a J.D. and this 100,000 is accruing interest while your in school and during your career. It is very real so see if you can get scholarships, if one is cheaper, or if you can get a full scholarship to a different school. Really consider the relative costs of the schools I don't know what they are, but you could easily figure it out.

CONCLUSION:
No anonymous internet poster (myself included), U.S. News, or anyone else could possible tell you what the best decision for YOU is. There is no right answer and choosing a law school is a difficult choice and no matter where you go you will ask yourself what if I went to X or Y. 

Anyone that claims to know what is best for you should be discarded immediately particularly if they are an anonymous internet poster who has never met you. Whatever school you end up attending will result in a 3 year commitment of YOUR life, 100,000 of YOUR money, and YOUR legal career. This choice will have ramifications on the rest of YOUR life so don't let people who have never met you impact your decision.

Good luck whatever you decide and despite my good intentions in this post everything I said could be 100% wrong. I am nothing more than anonymous internet poster killing time on a break.