Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Law Part Time?  (Read 858 times)

jds45

• View Profile
    • Email
Duquesne Law Part Time?
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Hi. I've been admitted to duquesne law school's part-time evening program with a 5k/yr scholarship. Tuition would be 21k a year. Should I go? my numbers are 159/3.6.

Anti09

• View Profile
Re: Duquesne Law Part Time?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
It really depends on what you want to do after law school. If you want to work in the Pittsburgh region, Duquesne is probably fine. Biglaw branch offices in Pittsburgh probably can still draw new hires from Penn and few other east coast schools. But for small/mid/govt jobs, Duquesne is probably alright. The amount of debt you're going to accrue, however, that's another story. I assume that most jobs in Pittsburgh/western PA don't pay top dollar, and you're going to have to find a way to make those payments.

With a 3.6/159 I'm a little surprised that you didn't get more than $5k. Did you apply very late in the cycle? Where else did you apply to? If you're not in a huge rush to start law school you might want to consider reapplying to a few other places in the area and seeing if you can swing a bigger scholarship. Pitt is a public law school with cheaper tuition, and you'd probably be guaranteed admisson with your numbers.

listerine1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
I'm not sure s/he is guaranteed in at Pitt, but s/he has a good shot. I was wondering that as well.  Did you apply to Pitt? I've heard Duquesne is okay, but Pitt is better.