I would really appreciate everyone's advice relating to re-approaching a school to be considered for additional money.
A tier one school that I am likely attending is the best law school I was admitted to. I do have financial concerns relating to law school, whether this school or any of the others (tier two) I was considering, but I plan on attending in the fall due to the opportunity that I look forward to taking advantage of.
I was originally admitted with 10k. I asked the admissions counselor who admitted me if I could please be considered for additional funding, and after checking with the dean of admissions, he was able to award me an additional 2k a year.
After a couple of weeks, I wrote to the dean of admissions, expressing financial hardship coupled with my sincere interest in attending the school. I explained that although I was very appreciative for having been admitted, I was concerned that I would be unable to attend with the current price and offer. I had asked if there was any way I could be considered for any additional funding. I know that the school has significant available funding, but I was told that based on my numbers, I cannot be awarded any additional funding.
Although I will very likely be attending this school, I truly need more money to be able to attend, and any increase, whether 1k or several thousand more a year would make a big difference. I am debating about who to write to and how to approach my letter.
At first, I was debating whether or not to go above the dean of admissions/financials that I had spoken with, but I realized it will likely be forwarded back to him. I am considering writing to the counselor who admitted me and cc'ing the dean of admissions and addressing it to both of them.
I'm not sure if I should write to the same two individuals in admission or if I should write to the dean of the law school. I don't want to make a negative first impression on the dean and on the dean of admissions for going above him, since I will likely be attending. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to write to to maximize my chances while minimizing offending and upsetting anyone and setting a bad first impression for myself?
Secondly, do you have any suggestions on what to include? Should I say that I will not be able to currently attend, but that if I could be considered for any additional funding, it could make the biggest of differences? If I say this, yet do not receive any more funding and do still attend, would this be considered lying and inappropriate? Should I acknowledge the previous conversation with the dean and how I had been told that I cannot receive any additional funding, yet I am asking again because....?
I have maintained my 4.0 gpa throughout my senior year (I am not retaking lsat, and I want to attend this one school) - can I use this to help my case? I know that several wait-listed non-URM students had slightly lower scores and received several thousand dollars more a year, but I know that I cannot mention this - yet given this, I personally know that more funding may technically be able to be awarded. I currently have 20k/year offers from tier two schools - can I use this as leverage? How can I approach and ask this without sounding desperate or threatening?
Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate it.