Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just over it...  (Read 1743 times)

metaphysics

Just over it...
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:11 AM »
I still remember last year.  Excited to prep for the LSAT, dreams of going to a strong law school in CA.  Flash forward to now, not too happy about my LSAT score (although it was the highest I've been scoring on my practice exams), and also in a bit of a bind.

Let me explain...

Sent out about 6 applications ranging from Berkeley to Whittier.  In the end I received a strong scholarship at Whittier, accepted to Southwestern, and waitlisted at Chapman.  As much as I wanted to take that scholarship at Whittier, the open house event I attended made me hate the school even more.  Now I know why it is 4th tier.  Lousy faculty and no professionalism whatsoever.  Alright then, Southwestern?  I am really happy to be accepted at this school, because with my numbers, I could have been rejected.  It felt nice to be wanted at a decent school.  Now the problem...I would have to move (because the commute would be almost impossible to do on a daily basis), and also will be paying sticker.  I know the risk of taking out such huge debt for a 3rd tier school, so please save that explanation for a later time.  My ideal school right now is Chapman, but I'm on the waitlist and probably won't hear back for a while.  I fell in love with the school at the open house event.  Given that it also only a quick drive from where a live, it is my ideal school and would love to attend.  But, I know my odds of getting off that waitlist is not good.  I'm not sure what to do.

PLEASE...don't respond with 'retake LSAT', 'these schools suck', or 'wait to go to a better school'.  Although these statements have sediments of truth in them, I don't really want to hear it right now.  I want to go to law school this year (Southwestern or Chapman), but am really hoping that Chapman gives me good news so I can save on rent.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just over it...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:22:12 AM »
My ideal school right now is Chapman, but I'm on the waitlist and probably won't hear back for a while.  I fell in love with the school at the open house event.  Given that it also only a quick drive from where a live, it is my ideal school and would love to attend.  But, I know my odds of getting off that waitlist is not good.  I'm not sure what to do.

Well, since you asked us not to tell you to retake the LSAT, here goes:

Why not call the school (the dean / chancellor, if possible) and tell them this?  It couldn't hurt.

metaphysics

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:32:34 AM »
Hey thanks for the response.

I did sort of do this.  I sent in a LOCI to Chapman.  The odd thing is that the Dean of Admissions at Chapman said during an online chat session to all of us who were waitlisted that the LOCI does not increase our chances of getting off the waitlist.  I am totally confused by this, is this some sort of bluff?  Anyway, it might be a good idea to try to talk to her personally, but I don't want to come off as pushy or annoying.  I would really like to attend this school, though.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:54:38 AM »
Then, don't come off as pushy or annoying.  Just simply ask to speak with her, tell her that you've been accepted to several other schools, you're currently on the wait list at Chapman, but that Chapman is your first choice because [insert reasons here].  Tell her that, if she's willing, you would be interested in meeting with her to discuss your interest in the school.

If she doesn't have the time, speak to the dean of admissions.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
PLEASE...don't respond with 'retake LSAT', 'these schools suck', or 'wait to go to a better school'.  Although these statements have sediments of truth in them, I don't really want to hear it right now.  I want to go to law school this year (Southwestern or Chapman), but am really hoping that Chapman gives me good news so I can save on rent.

So I'm not allowed to comment on how those schools will suck you into an endless debtors prison?  Or about how you're about to make a life ruining decision just because you want to stick your head in the sand? 

Dont' worry, I won't say 'nuthin.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
If Chapman has a part-time program you could try amending your application to go PT. You might have a better shot at getting in. I don't blame you for wanting Chapman over Whittier and SW, Chapman's campus is better than many T1s I've visited. There really isn't much you can do, however, to increase your odds of admission.

Considering that you got accepted at SW and a scholarship at Whittier, I'm surprised you were waitlisted at all. Don't Chapman and SW have pretty similar admissions profiles?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
Have good financial resources? Its a douch.y move, somewhat, but pay the seat deposit at SW and wait Chapman out.  loose the money if you get into Chapman. Go to SW if you do not.  You have time to play with housing near SW because you can commute the first few weeks.

Check lawschoolnumbers to see if you have a likelihood at getting off the wl. 

Did Chapman say not to contact them?  Some schools do that.  If they did, then don't.  Don't send an LOCI (I know you already did, but..). Don't call if they told you not to.  Email, usually, usually doesn't piss anyone off. 

To me, a campus being nice or pretty has nothing to do with anything.  Please don't make such a big decision based on superfluous crap like that.  In those ways open houses do more harm then good- a campus tour, a 2 minute conversation with a faculty member and a student- blah, how nice are the bathrooms? Is there a putting green?

Relax, regardless something will work out for you. 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

metaphysics

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »
Thanks for everyone's response. 

As for retaking the LSAT, that's not really something I can do right now because I'm not too sure if I can score that much higher without putting in another year+ of studying.  Delaying law school another year is just trouble waiting to happen for me.  At least, that is what I believe.  The test kicked my ass.

I will also looking into that PT program option at Chapman.  Definitely worth a shot...maybe I can even transfer over to FT the year after.

As for getting waitlisted at Chapman, I wasn't too surprised.  I think Chapman waitlists a ton of applicants each year.  The online chat I was in had a ton of people that were waitlisted.  Although Southwestern and Chapman are pretty much Tier 3, Chapman is aggressively trying to rank up fast and therefore explains why my numbers weren't up to par with the other applicants they chose first.  It is what it is, and I actually really like the fact that Chapman doesn't want to stay stagnant and is pushing to be better.  I was, however, very surprised to receive such a big scholly at Whittier.

Forgot to mention this wait is really starting to wear me out mentally...I've basically given up hope today.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
Given up? You'll probably get an answer in the next week or two.  They usually settle out the most of 1L class by mid June.

As to it being good that a school tries to rank up and waitlists tons of people- I have the opposite opinion on that one, bad sign. 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

metaphysics

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
Hey there.

Yeah, sort of given up.  Checking Chapman LSN's page...don't see too many people gotten off the waitlist.  And yeah, it really sucks to be waitlisted but I can't complain too much with my numbers.  Why are law schools so obsessed with numbers?  It just doesn't seem right...the numbers don't tell the whole story.