Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra vs. Brooklyn vs. Fordham  (Read 885 times)

jm077428

• View Profile
Hofstra vs. Brooklyn vs. Fordham
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
I was hoping to get some idea on what people think of my options.  I have a full ride to Hofstra law with the normal stips and $28,000 to Brooklyn Law with a top 80% stip.  I am also accepted at Fordham for the evening program with no money so I'd have to work during the day.  Does anybody have any thoughts? Thanks

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra vs. Brooklyn vs. Fordham
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »
If your goal is biglaw, I suppose Fordham is the best choice. Understand, however,  that you will need to perform exceptionally well and will accrue massive debt. Chances are you'll have to pay that debt off without a biglaw salary.

Between Hofstra and Brooklyn: take the money and run. The lack of debt will provide you with a degree of flexibility that will likely outweigh any slight reputational advantage that Brooklyn posseses. Trust me, three years from now when you're looking for job you appreciate the lack of debt.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
I was hoping to get some idea on what people think of my options.  I have a full ride to Hofstra law with the normal stips and $28,000 to Brooklyn Law with a top 80% stip.  I am also accepted at Fordham for the evening program with no money so I'd have to work during the day.  Does anybody have any thoughts? Thanks

Try to get more money out of Brooklyn, and know that unless you kill it you'll be working NYC small law for your entire career.  Fordham isn't worth sticker in this economy.  Hofstra isn't worth your time, even with a full ride. 

jm077428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »
Thanks for all the help!!  I'm not all that interested in BigLaw but obviously if it came down to it and it would greatly help alleviate debt then I would.  I have always been more interested in public interest.

lrt8000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »
Brooklyn is your best choice. Like the guy said above don't waste your time with Hofstra. Also look here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178765