Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Law vs. Hofstra Law  (Read 1540 times)

Dreamlaw0915

• View Profile
    • Email
NY Law vs. Hofstra Law
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
Help!

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NY Law vs. Hofstra Law
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Although I don't live or work in the NYC area, I doubt if either school has any particular advantage over the other. Were you offered $$$ from either? I'd probably pick that one. Also, think about what you want to do after law school. Will one of these places put yp in a better position than the other?

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Neither.  These schools are both absolute garbage.  Don't go without a full ride.

jbean29

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »
How is Hofstra absolute garbage?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
It's not. Small children need regular naps and sippy cups full of delicious juice, otherwise they become cranky and say naughty things.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
Hofstra has an okay rep as far as I know, NYLS doesn't, yet I've met a successful NYLS grad.  Aren't both insanely expensive, though?

Roald is right, yet again :), you need to particular out each school.  Money? Location? Practice? Alum base? Job rate? Attrition? Bar pass?

I do know NYLS was sued, along with Cooley, by grads who couldn't find jobs.  Dismissed, though I think. Just a sign that the job chances might be tough coming out of NYLS. 

I think NYLS has high attrition too, but not sure.  I know it looks like I prefer Hofstra, but I don't know too much about that school.  I would say that NYLS is risky, however.     
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
That's interesting, I didn't know that NYLS had been sued too. I believe the Cooley and TJSL suits had to do with alleged misrepresentation of post-grad employment statistics. Was that the case with NYLS too?

Also, I know that people hate the idea of retaking the LSAT and reapplying, but the OP might want to consider it. If you're going to go to a T4 you might as well do everything you can to minimize your debt. Spending a year prepping, retaking the LSAT, and potentially achieving a much better score might pay off in the long run. Something to consider.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
Cooley and NYLS were in the suits along with like a dozen schools that should not have been listed (well known schools that are fine), by a NY firm. Tommy J was a different and the spawning suit, and I think dismissed as well.

The suit somehow fragmented the firm, then their cases were dismissed.  An obvious failed venture and big opps.

Not so sure about having to retake the LSAT and wait a year.  With doing absolutely no research on Hofstra whatsoever, I'd pick there. :)
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
I think you're probably right about Hofstra. Like I said, I really don't have any first hand experience with either school (or the NY market for that matter), but I have an old friend who went to NYLS and wasn't very happy with the experience. On the other hand, last I heard she's doing quite well in NYC. Single anecdotal example, but maybe it means something.

It occured to me that Hofstra might have one other advantage: it's associated with a larger university and shares the campus. Compared to stand-alone law schools (like NYLS) it might have a better social life.

OP: really think about what you want to do long term. I know that when you're in the application process you just want to get in somewhere and start, but try to develop at least some kind of plan now. Do you think you want private practice, solo practice, government? See if either school has programs that might help you work towards that goal. Also, can you deal with the very real possibility of making little money plus having large loan payments? For the first couple of years after law school you may very well be in this situation. I'm not trying to either encourage you or discourage you, but it will help to think about these things now.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
How is Hofstra absolute garbage?

Because only 50% of their graduates reported employment in a LT Legal Job.  Because only 60% were able to find any job that required a JD.  Because only 7.1% of their class reported making over $75,000 per year.  And because their non-discounted cost of tuition (before interest) is a staggering $252,000.  Those are awful employment stats.  Hofstra isn't just garbage, it's expensive garbage. 

Still better than NYLS, though.