Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Biology major with a mid-undergrad crisis  (Read 3271 times)

justart5

• View Profile
Biology major with a mid-undergrad crisis
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
So my story is that I have for the past 6 years of my life been pretty convinced that I wanted to be a doctor. I was all on the right track to do everything and then suddenly, I had lost that certainty that the medical field was what I wanted to do with my life. I started to realize that through taking electives in the English and Philosophy departments at my university(very small, liberal arts, private) that I really enjoyed reading, writing, making, and defending arguments. I would even go as far as to say that I enjoy that more than every class in my major. So now I find myself a second semester junior biology major, who only actually needs a few credits to finish the course work for that major. I am young, only 19, so I have time, I just fear that I am too far invested into the biology field to turn around with a different major. I just wanted to ask the board what would my chances of getting into law school be( I have a 3.75 GPA, president of our programming board, student athlete) if that were the path I was to choose. Can biology major even get into a law school? Would picking up any specific minor help? I am just trying to weigh my options.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Re: Biology major with a mid-undergrad crisis
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Law schools couldn't care less about your specific major. They primarily base their admission decisions on your GPA and LSAT score. A biology degree wouldn't be a hindrance, and in many instances it may be an asset. Although you may need an advanced degree for the most part, your biology background might help you break into the field of intellectual property law (patents and so forth).

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Biology major with a mid-undergrad crisis
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »
Law schools do care what your degree is in, but they have no specific requirements.  I can't imagine any law school would frown on a biology degree.  Law schools love racial diversity, but they also like diversity in the undergraduate majors of their students.  A 3.75 in biology may get you into a top 25 law school ahead of a poly sci 3.75.   The LSAT will have a significant impact on your options.
Math, science, and engineering majors do particularly well on the LSAT, and a background in science will certainly be an asset for you whether you are an intellectual property lawyer or not. 

A degree in biology or another science degree, computer science degree, or engineering degree can qualify you to take the patent bar, which will open up additional career opportunities.   Most IP lawyers work for medium to large firms and make better money than the average JD out there.
Although your biology degree may help you take the patent bar, you may be limited to filing patents for those things that relate to your field.  Those students who hold electrical engineering, computer science, and pharmaceutical/chemical degrees tend to be in higher demand.

Do you like health care policy?  Would you enjoy suing or defending doctors in malpractice actions?  Would you like to deal with medical contracts?   There are many jobs in these fields where a biology/premed degree would be a significant asset.