Deciding Where to Go > Reviews, Visits, and Rankings

New England Law | Boston or UMass Dartmouth School of Law

(1/3) > >>

DA CPA:
I got accepted into New England School of Law and UMass Dartmouth School of Law.  UMass recently received provisional ABA accreditation.  I am planning to attend part-time evening program. 

UMass is very close to my work and lot cheeper then NESL.

NESL has a better taxation program.

Thank you so much for all of your inputs.

Maintain FL 350:
I don't have any personal experience with either school, so keep that in mind as you read this. To me, it sounds like UMass is probably a better bet.

1) It's cheaper, a huge advantage. Since neither school currently has a huge reputation, you might as well save money.

2) The UMass system is fairly well respected, and I think there's a good chance that UMass Law will eventually build up a solid reputation. Having a strong, well recognized parent institution supporting the law school is invaluable. It means that even though the law school is new, the institution already has experience with administration, fundraising, setting up financial aid programs, etc. All of that experience will come into play when the law school applies for full ABA approval. The ABA looks at everything from long term financial viability, to employment policies and administrative stability. Also, UMass has already hired some pretty good people, including Malagrino (formerly of La Verne and USD) for property. All good signs. 

3) NESL, on the other hand, has probably peaked and isn't going any higher.

fortook:
Share what you have learned about UMass, please.  I poked around a little and really got no where- which makes me suspect there isn't too much going on for students in the Dartmouth area. I have real hopes for UMass, but idk.

NESL or UMass?  Both are risky, buy Roald's analysis is a good one.  In Mass, of all the schools on the lower end, UMass is probably you're best bet.  Problem is, its still a gamble.  But so is Suffolk, W. NE and NESL. Don't scoff at going cheaper- that is a huge deal, huge. Good luck.

DA CPA:
Thank you so much for all of your responds.  I am a CPA and have almost 7 years of experience in taxation.  I want to specialize in taxation.

Here are my analyses:

UMass Dartmouth Evening Division:

Provisional ABA Accredited.
Tuition is $25000 cheaper than NESL.
Only 10 minutesí away from my work.
They have a great transitional to Law School program.  I can take one class in this summer prior to start the Law School and I will have a less load on my first semester.
ONLY OFFER ONE CLASS IN TAXATION.

New England Law | Boston Evening Division:

Fully ABA Accredited.
Coupe hours commute. 
Reputation is lot better than UMass Dartmouth.
OFFER ALMOST HALF DOZEN OF CLASSES IN TAXATION WITH TAX CLINIC.

fortook:
UMass doesn't have a tax clinic or at least vita?  Really?  I don't know too much about tax law, but you may need a LLM anyways.  Idk there.

Does UMass have any class reciprocity with any law schools?  I would if I were them- meaning you can still take the classes if you wish.

I wouldn't say NELS's rep is a lot better- its still a low end school. GL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version