Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Process of Transferring From COOLEY  (Read 9030 times)

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »
FutureLSStudent, if you're goal is to finish your law degree at a school other than Cooley then you'd probably be better off foregoing school in the fall and retake the LSAT in an attempt to score into the school of your choice.

As Roald pointed out, finishing in the top 10% is unlikely. In fact, you have a 90% chance of not finishing in the top 10%. The odds are stacked precariously against you. And in many ways, how well you do your first year is largely out of your control. The forced curve is brutal. Professors try to grade objectively (one can hope), but complete objectivity is impossible given the subjective nature of legal analysis. It's not as though every question has a clear right or wrong answer; there are many shades of gray in the law. A professor, for example, might mark you down because you chose to flesh out an argument that he thought was of little importance, even though reasonable minds could disagree as to its legal relevance.   

If you move forward with your current plan, you're placing your fate mostly in the hands of your professors and fellow students. Law school is fiercely competitive. It's unlike college in almost every imaginable way. You could conceivably spend 18 hours a day in the library and still end up with a pedestrian gpa that's well outside of the top 10%.

In my humble opinion, you'd be better off devoting the time and energy that you ostensibly plan to exert in your studies this fall to retaking (and mastering) the LSAT.

so now you agree with me. Awsome. Buzz must have faded?

Are you enjoying the anonymity of cyberspace, young Nova? Good. The world desperately needs more pricks. Keep up the great work!

yes, he have bright future.  probably going have daddy get him into rotc, get to afghanistan in time for end of war and be fragged by own troops.

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. You have given me a lot to think about. I agree that I shouldn't go to Cooley if I expect to transfer. The odds are stacked against me and I should be ok with spending the next 3 years there if I have to. I know people who do go their now and do like it. I also have heard some good things regardless of its reputation. I think I can be ok with getting my law degree there, and Ill probably go part time.

I guess I am leaning toward the unlikely idea of being able to transfer because I don't want to wait and take the lsat again: mostly because I don't want to have to start paying back my student loans from undergrad since I won't be enrolled in school (btw...I did get my BA, Nova Juris :P).

I need to be realistic about this decision and I will continue to do my research, including contacting specific schools about their transfer process. Basically its not impossible to transfer but just really really hard. This was very helpful and Im going to consider alot of things before I make a decision. THANKS

For future reference: Nova Juris, there is way to be helpful in a respectful way. You are really condescending. Just something to think about.

wow, the person who barely passed undergrad and can't master the lsat with cooley as their best option giving me life advise. Thanks. That's swell.

way to nurture, dipshit!

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
FutureLSStudent, if you're goal is to finish your law degree at a school other than Cooley then you'd probably be better off foregoing school in the fall and retake the LSAT in an attempt to score into the school of your choice.

As Roald pointed out, finishing in the top 10% is unlikely. In fact, you have a 90% chance of not finishing in the top 10%. The odds are stacked precariously against you. And in many ways, how well you do your first year is largely out of your control. The forced curve is brutal. Professors try to grade objectively (one can hope), but complete objectivity is impossible given the subjective nature of legal analysis. It's not as though every question has a clear right or wrong answer; there are many shades of gray in the law. A professor, for example, might mark you down because you chose to flesh out an argument that he thought was of little importance, even though reasonable minds could disagree as to its legal relevance.   

If you move forward with your current plan, you're placing your fate mostly in the hands of your professors and fellow students. Law school is fiercely competitive. It's unlike college in almost every imaginable way. You could conceivably spend 18 hours a day in the library and still end up with a pedestrian gpa that's well outside of the top 10%.

In my humble opinion, you'd be better off devoting the time and energy that you ostensibly plan to exert in your studies this fall to retaking (and mastering) the LSAT.

so now you agree with me. Awsome. Buzz must have faded?

Are you enjoying the anonymity of cyberspace, young Nova? Good. The world desperately needs more pricks. Keep up the great work!

kettle meet stove

oh, so you admit you prick?

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
Everybody is right so far, it seems.  I just thought I'd mention that you don't have to be in the top 10% to transfer per se.  I know plenty of people (even with those pedestrian gpas) who transferred from Cooley a couple years ago.  It really entirely depends on where you are applying and who else is applying to transfer to that school.  In fact, I know someone who transferred to a tier 2 from Cooley who was ranked in the top 40%.  Just something to keep in mind. 

That being said, waiting and getting a higher LSAT score is probably the best move.  Like everyone said, there is no guarantee when you're talking about transferring.  Random hits on your other questions next....

I took 12 units a semester instead of 15 when at Cooley.  I found it very manageable, especially compared to fellow students taking 15. 
You will likely need a letter from a professor.  I found it somewhat difficult to get one from a professor at Cooley (some wouldn't do it at all while others required you receive an A in their class).
I don't think you can reasonably expect to transfer after 2 yrs.  Most schools cap the amount of units you can transfer (usually around 30-34).  I guess it may be possible, but you'd be wasting 30 units you paid for.   

Definitely call schools you are considering and see what is generally required for an acceptance.  I think LSAC contains this information as well.

where did they transfer to and what was their cumulative gpa?

They had a 3.0 and transferred to a tier 2.  I can't imagine why you'd need more information than that.

to see which schools are taking cooley transfers in the bottom 40%.

If you're transferring from Cooley yourself and you're in the top 40%, I'd be happy to give  you that information.  If you're not, again, I can't imagine why you would need more information than what I've already given (unless, of course, you are attempting to troll).

When did I say I was doing it? Do you know how to read? I am saying it doesn't happen. I am calling you a lier. Moron.

maybe, but he much better speller you.

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
Everybody is right so far, it seems.  I just thought I'd mention that you don't have to be in the top 10% to transfer per se.  I know plenty of people (even with those pedestrian gpas) who transferred from Cooley a couple years ago.  It really entirely depends on where you are applying and who else is applying to transfer to that school.  In fact, I know someone who transferred to a tier 2 from Cooley who was ranked in the top 40%.  Just something to keep in mind. 

That being said, waiting and getting a higher LSAT score is probably the best move.  Like everyone said, there is no guarantee when you're talking about transferring.  Random hits on your other questions next....

I took 12 units a semester instead of 15 when at Cooley.  I found it very manageable, especially compared to fellow students taking 15. 
You will likely need a letter from a professor.  I found it somewhat difficult to get one from a professor at Cooley (some wouldn't do it at all while others required you receive an A in their class).
I don't think you can reasonably expect to transfer after 2 yrs.  Most schools cap the amount of units you can transfer (usually around 30-34).  I guess it may be possible, but you'd be wasting 30 units you paid for.   

Definitely call schools you are considering and see what is generally required for an acceptance.  I think LSAC contains this information as well.

where did they transfer to and what was their cumulative gpa?

They had a 3.0 and transferred to a tier 2.  I can't imagine why you'd need more information than that.

to see which schools are taking cooley transfers in the bottom 40%.

If you're transferring from Cooley yourself and you're in the top 40%, I'd be happy to give  you that information.  If you're not, again, I can't imagine why you would need more information than what I've already given (unless, of course, you are attempting to troll).

When did I say I was doing it? Do you know how to read? I am saying it doesn't happen. I am calling you a lier. Moron.

If you read my post I said, "If you're transferring from Cooley...."  I did not say you were.  Anyhow, time to move along troll.  You'll find no feeding from me.

oh, julie happy feed him.  unfortunately for him, it going be rat poison.

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
you welcome.

cerealkiller

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 80
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
FutureLSStudent, if you're goal is to finish your law degree at a school other than Cooley then you'd probably be better off foregoing school in the fall and retake the LSAT in an attempt to score into the school of your choice.

As Roald pointed out, finishing in the top 10% is unlikely. In fact, you have a 90% chance of not finishing in the top 10%. The odds are stacked precariously against you. And in many ways, how well you do your first year is largely out of your control. The forced curve is brutal. Professors try to grade objectively (one can hope), but complete objectivity is impossible given the subjective nature of legal analysis. It's not as though every question has a clear right or wrong answer; there are many shades of gray in the law. A professor, for example, might mark you down because you chose to flesh out an argument that he thought was of little importance, even though reasonable minds could disagree as to its legal relevance.   

If you move forward with your current plan, you're placing your fate mostly in the hands of your professors and fellow students. Law school is fiercely competitive. It's unlike college in almost every imaginable way. You could conceivably spend 18 hours a day in the library and still end up with a pedestrian gpa that's well outside of the top 10%.

In my humble opinion, you'd be better off devoting the time and energy that you ostensibly plan to exert in your studies this fall to retaking (and mastering) the LSAT.

so now you agree with me. Awsome. Buzz must have faded?

Are you enjoying the anonymity of cyberspace, young Nova? Good. The world desperately needs more pricks. Keep up the great work!

kettle meet stove

I think what you mean to say is "kettle meet pot." The point of my question was that I doubt you're as equally bellicose in your face-to-face interactions as you are here. I've giving you the benefit of the doubt, but it's entirely possible that you're a prick all day, every day.

In case you are a prick of the perpetual sort, let me give you some advice. I know you've probably watched your fair share of television and likely equate arrogance with intelligence. But in the real world, you have to be incredibly brilliant for co-workers to put up with someone that comes across as condescending as you do on this forum. And judging from your apparent deficiency in grammar and spelling skills, I highly doubt your intelligence rises to any workable definition of brilliance. I've read two posts wherein you wrote "academicly" instead of "academically." A single instance could be written off as a simple mistake. But two separate instances is a clear indication that you really don't know how to spell the word. So if you think you're going to get any play out of this "holier than thou" attitude you exhibit on this forum in the "real" world, you're sorely mistaken. You might even get your teeth punched down your throat.

With that said, given your constant usage of a LSAT score of 160 as your baseline for judging someone's intellectual abilities, I surmise that you scored 160 or above on your LSAT. If you did that's wonderful. But it certainly doesn't give you license to sling insults at others. Play nice, dude.

IrrX

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 168
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 02:53:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. You have given me a lot to think about. I agree that I shouldn't go to Cooley if I expect to transfer. The odds are stacked against me and I should be ok with spending the next 3 years there if I have to. I know people who do go their now and do like it. I also have heard some good things regardless of its reputation. I think I can be ok with getting my law degree there, and Ill probably go part time.

I guess I am leaning toward the unlikely idea of being able to transfer because I don't want to wait and take the lsat again: mostly because I don't want to have to start paying back my student loans from undergrad since I won't be enrolled in school (btw...I did get my BA, Nova Juris :P).

I need to be realistic about this decision and I will continue to do my research, including contacting specific schools about their transfer process. Basically its not impossible to transfer but just really really hard. This was very helpful and Im going to consider alot of things before I make a decision. THANKS

For future reference: Nova Juris, there is way to be helpful in a respectful way. You are really condescending. Just something to think about.

wow, the person who barely passed undergrad and can't master the lsat with cooley as their best option giving me life advise. Thanks. That's swell.

 :-X
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

kjw5029

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. You have given me a lot to think about. I agree that I shouldn't go to Cooley if I expect to transfer. The odds are stacked against me and I should be ok with spending the next 3 years there if I have to. I know people who do go their now and do like it. I also have heard some good things regardless of its reputation. I think I can be ok with getting my law degree there, and Ill probably go part time.

I guess I am leaning toward the unlikely idea of being able to transfer because I don't want to wait and take the lsat again: mostly because I don't want to have to start paying back my student loans from undergrad since I won't be enrolled in school (btw...I did get my BA, Nova Juris :P).

I need to be realistic about this decision and I will continue to do my research, including contacting specific schools about their transfer process. Basically its not impossible to transfer but just really really hard. This was very helpful and Im going to consider alot of things before I make a decision. THANKS

For future reference: Nova Juris, there is way to be helpful in a respectful way. You are really condescending. Just something to think about.

wow, the person who barely passed undergrad and can't master the lsat with cooley as their best option giving me life advise. Thanks. That's swell.

Well I thought I would help you out by pointing out that you meant "advice" here (advise is a verb, idiot).  Seeing as you clearly consider yourself the next Einstein (and thus, understand the difference between verbs and nouns), you already knew that.  Good luck taking my order sir (with fries please). 

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27221
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Transferring From COOLEY
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
no, that "friez."