Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missing your swearing-in ceremony, swearing in remotely  (Read 2676 times)

Suikoden

• View Profile
    • Email
Missing your swearing-in ceremony, swearing in remotely
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
Hi I was wondering if I could get some advice. Has anyone missed their swearing-in/oath ceremony after passing the bar exam, but been allowed to swear in remotely?

I live in Arizona but passed the bar in Illinois. The oath ceremony is coming up real soon, but Right now I am working a decent gig (not a law job) on a contract basis, and would rather not take off 3 full days to fly all the way to Chicago to swear in. Plus spending 300-400 bucks for a flight and hotel right now - I'd rather save that for when I actually move back to Chicago in a few months to get a job.

I called the IL supreme court who advised me that people who live far off do sometimes miss the bar, and that 3 weeks after the ceremony, they will mail you instructions on how to swear in with a judge who is near your current location (usually federal or bankruptcy judge).

I guess I trust the court but I sorta fear missing the ceremony and then the court turning around telling me too bad or their remote swearing in procedure getting delayed or something.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Missing your swearing-in ceremony, swearing in remotely
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:18:55 AM »
Happens all the time.

http://www.state.il.us/court/SupremeCourt/Ceremonies/default.asp

"Any candidate certified after Wednesday, May 2, 2012, will not be eligible to participate in the ceremony on May 10, 2012. However, the Clerk’s Office will send a letter notifying a candidate of the licensing process after May 10, 2012, as a candidate becomes certified. Do not contact the Clerk’s Office until you receive the notification."

Obviously they're not going to make you wait for the next swearing-in ceremony to become an attorney.  Most states have provisions allowing for out-of-state swearing in.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
You might also be able to swear in once you arrive in IL, regardless of whether you missed the ceremony. Just check with the IL bar. When my wife received word that she passed the CA bar, she didn't want to wait for a swearing in ceremony. We drove to the local courthouse and asked the clerk if a judge was available to swear her in. Five minutes later she took the oath, the judge signed some paperwork, and that was that.

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
seen soldiers do it in Iraq.

Always weird to see a Cpt and a Cpl both swearing if for the same thing at the same time. Both equal for a few minutes and then one being a God and the other an ant ten seconds latter.

So yeah, it can be done.

Suikoden

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
Thank you for the information. After talking to the court and checking this stuff out, I think I'll jes swaer in remotely and save the 600 bucks.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:20:06 AM »
Thank you for the information. After talking to the court and checking this stuff out, I think I'll jes swaer in remotely and save the 600 bucks.

No problem.  I went to the first because of family.  Skipped out on the second, though, and swore-in in another state.