Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley vs Capital  (Read 7721 times)

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley vs Capital
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
Just go to Stanford OP.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
so according to those stats Cooleys total unemployment stats are LOWER than several of the other law schools? (some look dang near double)
So then why does everyone act like Cooley is the worst of the worst if they have up to double total employment numbers and the stats of their offical attrition rates is lower than a lot of other schools too? Is there name just more well known like how people diss UOP even though other online schools are a billion times worse?

Yes.  I'm not sure anyone here was arguing otherwise.

So then why does cooley get such a bad rap as being the "worst"? When they have double the total employment stats of other schools and far lower attrition rates that many others too?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2012, 02:34:19 AM »
So then why does everyone act like Cooley is the worst of the worst if they have up to double total employment numbers and the stats of their offical attrition rates is lower than a lot of other schools too? Is there name just more well known like how people diss UOP even though other online schools are a billion times worse?

It probably doesn't help that they rank themselves second best law school in the nation.

Also, to me, it doesn't matter just how bad Cooley is compared to other bad law schools.  It's bad enough to be in the 4th tier.  I would hope that one would never pick a law school on the basis that it isn't the worst law school in the nation?

As I said in post 34, "a turd is still a turd, no matter how much you polish it".  The same holds true for Cooley.  You can compare it to all of the horrible schools as much as you want, but that doesn't make it any better of a choice.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Ever tried to polish a turd? So much fiber is necessary.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »

It probably doesn't help that they rank themselves second best law school in the nation.

Also, to me, it doesn't matter just how bad Cooley is compared to other bad law schools.  It's bad enough to be in the 4th tier.  I would hope that one would never pick a law school on the basis that it isn't the worst law school in the nation?

As I said in post 34, "a turd is still a turd, no matter how much you polish it".  The same holds true for Cooley.  You can compare it to all of the horrible schools as much as you want, but that doesn't make it any better of a choice.

yeah ok turds are turds, fine.

The rep is still they are "worst" when that clearly isn't the truth accroding to ABA stats for employment, attrition, and other aspects.
Their rankings might be weird but if they are so wrong then why don't they get busted for "truth in advertising" laws? Seems like an open shut case if they say they are the 2nd best in nation and "everyone knows" that isn't true.

Why dosn't the govt step if and stop if it is such a horrible lie and everyone knows it? Seems odd.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
Their rankings might be weird but if they are so wrong then why don't they get busted for "truth in advertising" laws? Seems like an open shut case if they say they are the 2nd best in nation and "everyone knows" that isn't true.

Why dosn't the govt step if and stop if it is such a horrible lie and everyone knows it? Seems odd.

There are a few suits out there to "test the waters" with respect to falsification of employment numbers.  Cooley won't get in trouble with respect to its rankings because it publishes its ranking methodology and, thus, it can be seen as an opinion based on hard facts (such as the square footage of its law library).  Further, a recent judgment assumes that all prospective law students are "sophisticated consumers" that are capable of treading through the BS spouted by law schools regardless of how false the information those schools provide may be.

As to your second question:  The government is finally starting to wise up.  We'll see what happens on that end.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »
The government is finally starting to wise up.  We'll see what happens on that end.

-Expand on that.  The Gov in terms of money/loans?  The ABA regulates law schools.  And yes they are maybe wising up. LMU in Knoxville was denied, ofc.

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
I am not sure how someone with less than even a BA (or a BA at 2.0) at a 140 LSAT can be "sophisticated"

but if that is what the courts want to tell themselves I guess,

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
The government is finally starting to wise up.  We'll see what happens on that end.

-Expand on that.  The Gov in terms of money/loans?  The ABA regulates law schools.  And yes they are maybe wising up. LMU in Knoxville was denied, ofc.

Will post tomorrow on it.  Pretty damn late here.  Bout to go to bed.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »
I am not sure how someone with less than even a BA (or a BA at 2.0) at a 140 LSAT can be "sophisticated"

but if that is what the courts want to tell themselves I guess,

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/03/22/judge-dismisses-suit-against-new-york-law