Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley vs Capital  (Read 9198 times)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley vs Capital
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »
Thanks, that's very interesting!

La Verne has better long term long-term employment numbers than Hastings!? I must say, I've always thought that La Verne was a diamond in the rough, but still.

I didn't read the methodology, but I assume this chart represents percentage of grads who obtained long-term employment within a specified period of time (9 months after graduation, 1 year after, etc). Clearly, Cooley ranks near the bottom of this list and the big national schools rank near the top. My point was not to claim that T4 grads (from Cooley or elsewhere) are just as employable as T1 grads, but to challenge the metric by which we tend to define success, ie; biglaw/midlaw. 

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
firms with 25 people or more, so in other words solo practioners don't exist.

thats interesting.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »

thats interesting.

Federal clerkships?!  So, in other words, state clerkships, ALJ clerkships, specialty court clerkships, shitlaw jobs, etc. don't exist?

People who were unemployed nine months after graduation?!  So, people who were unemployed 1 year after graduation don't exist?

That's interesting.

Look, guy.  The stats are there - I linked to them.  I don't have the time to sit here and post stats all day to appease you.  I've cut and pasted the Stanford/Cooley comparison right off of Professor Paul Campos' website.  I got bitched at because it was a comparison between Cooley (a school that "everyone knows sucks" - but yet, the OP is willing to take a chance on) and one of the top schools in the nation.  So, I crunched the numbers and posted the same stats with Cooley vs. two Tier 2s. Again, I get bitched at - this time, because I could have posted other stats, but I didn't. 

Why don't you stop whining and post your own stats if you don't like what I've posted?  I think the stats speak for themselves.  If you believe that Cooley places better in the solo market, BY ALL MEANS, post the stats.  Someone will then complain that you didn't consider firms with > 300 attorneys, with > 5 attorneys, with > 10 attorneys, with > 2 attorneys.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:35 PM »
Lol you're having the same conversation with Nova that I felt I was having with you.  T2s? Still unfair. How can you not see that?

Roald, perhaps your explanation can get through.

Compare Cooley to T4s.  Arg.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
Compare Cooley to T4s.  Arg.

Why?  To determine which school is king of sh1t mountain?  I have no interest in doing that.  Instead, I prefer to show people how a good/decent law school should be placing its students and comparing that to the placements at Cooley (and all T4s, for that matter - it just happened that this thread focused on Cooley and Capital).  If you're interested in finding the king of sh1t mountain, feel free to post the stats.  I'm not sure you'll get much out of it.  A turd is still a turd, no matter how much you polish it.

The OP asked for "any input on where to go" and listed Cooley and Capital as potential choices.  My answer is "neither".  Retake the LSAT and get into a better school - one with better employment prospects.

Perhaps this explanation will get through?

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

thats interesting.

Federal clerkships?!  So, in other words, state clerkships, ALJ clerkships, specialty court clerkships, shitlaw jobs, etc. don't exist?

People who were unemployed nine months after graduation?!  So, people who were unemployed 1 year after graduation don't exist?

That's interesting.

Look, guy.  The stats are there - I linked to them.  I don't have the time to sit here and post stats all day to appease you.  I've cut and pasted the Stanford/Cooley comparison right off of Professor Paul Campos' website.  I got bitched at because it was a comparison between Cooley (a school that "everyone knows sucks" - but yet, the OP is willing to take a chance on) and one of the top schools in the nation.  So, I crunched the numbers and posted the same stats with Cooley vs. two Tier 2s. Again, I get bitched at - this time, because I could have posted other stats, but I didn't. 

Why don't you stop whining and post your own stats if you don't like what I've posted?  I think the stats speak for themselves.  If you believe that Cooley places better in the solo market, BY ALL MEANS, post the stats.  Someone will then complain that you didn't consider firms with > 300 attorneys, with > 5 attorneys, with > 10 attorneys, with > 2 attorneys.

wow, someone has "me" issues.

Wasn't saying anything about you or your precious time (that you clearly have time to post about not having)
Was refering to the way the stats are done.
Thanks for the inner window into your minnd though. Sorry if it made any veins burst.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
Then say T4s and don't single out Cooley.  You seemed to be distorting the facts- intentionally to make a point. That's not kool.

Ofc, by your analysis the OP should go to Stanford or no where. Looks like his choices are only T4s.  While Cooley is a bad choice hands down, there are T3s and T4s that place well- Maine for example.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »
Then say T4s and don't single out Cooley. . .

I think I can accommodate you with minimal effort.

A list of schools you should not attend:

(Courtesy of http://www.constitutionaldaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1644:employment-scores-the-fracked-fifteen&catid=42:news&Itemid=71)

We've been crunching the Law School Transparency employment data and compiled this list of the Fracked Fifteen, the fifteen law schools with Under-Employment Scores [unemployed, part-time jobs, non-professional jobs, and pursuing another degree] higher than Employment Scores [jobs requiring bar passage, less short-term firm jobs and solo practitioners]:

15. Ave Maria School of Law
Employment Score: 36.9%
Under-Employment Score: 38.1%
Different: -1.2%
Unemployment Rate: 28.6%

14. Thomas M Cooley Law School
Employment Score: 21.7%
Under-Employment Score: 23.1%
Difference: -1.4%
Unemployment Rate: 17.7%

13.Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Employment Score: 19.5%
Under-Employment Score: 22.2%
Difference: -2.7%
Unemployment Rate: 9.5%

12. John Marshall Law School - Atlanta
Employment Score: 24.7%
Under-Employment Score: 28.3%
Difference: -3.6%
Unemployment Rate: 7.8%

11. University of Detroit Mercy
Employment Score: 27.8%
Under-Employment Score: 31.8%
Difference: -4.0%
Unemployment Rate: 18%

10. Florida Coastal School of Law
Employment Score: 30.9%
Under-Employment Score: 37.6%
Difference: -6.7%
Unemployment Rate: 7.4%

9. University of Toledo
Employment Score: 37.9%
Under-Employment Score: 45.3%
Difference: -7.4%
Unemployment Rate: 8.7%

8. Western New England College of Law
Employment Score: 30.1%
Under-Employment Score: 40.5%
Difference: -10.4%
Unemployment Rate: 17.4%

7. Champan University
Employment Score: 35.1%
Under-Employment Score: 46.8%
Difference: -11.7%
Unemployment Rate: 16.4%

6. Whittier Law School
Employment Score: 18.1%
Under-Employment Score: 31.2%
Difference: -13.1%
Unemployment Rate: 7.2%

5. Barry University
Employment Score: 24.4%
Under-Employment Score: 37.6%
Difference: -13.2%
Unemployment Rate: 28.4%

4. University of San Francisco
Employment Score: 40.8%
Under-Employment Score: 55.9%
Difference: -15.1%
Unemployment Rate: 8.4%

3. Golden Gate University
Employment Score: 23%
Under-Employment Score: 42.5%
Difference: -19.5%
Unemployment Rate: 15.5%

2. Florida A&M University
Employment Score: 20.2%
Under-Employment Score: 45.2%
Difference: -25.0%
Unemployment Rate: 26.7%

1. Santa Clara University
Employment Score: 53.1%
Under-Employment Score: 81.3%
Difference: -28.2%
Unemployment Rate: 20.0%

There are another 5 schools that comprise a list of dishonorable mention. Their Employment Score is lower than their combined Under-Employment Score and unknown employment status rates. They are: California Western School of Law, Texas Wesleyan, New England School of Law, Liberty University, Capital University. . .

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
One question: Has law school transparency updated? Last I checked, in 2011 I think, they stopped at 2009.

Also, notice that Cooley isn't on top of this list....ha.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
One question: Has law school transparency updated? Last I checked, in 2011 I think, they stopped at 2009.

Also, notice that Cooley isn't on top of this list....ha.

Apparently so.  It's got 2010 data.  I honestly never believed that Cooley was the worst school in the country - only that it was one of the many horrible T4s.