Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley vs Capital  (Read 8486 times)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley vs Capital
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
Inactive alumni doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on the school. People go inactive for lots of reasons then return to the bar later. Considering that the school has been around since 1903, 1131 inactive grads actually seems rather low.

Capital had the highest first time bar pass rate in OH from 2007-2011, surpassing Ohio State, Akron, Cincinnati and others.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:26 PM »
I'm personally not a big fan of Cooley, but what some fool at some unnamed firm says....come on.

Three representatives from large Tampa firms have never hired, nor intend on hiring, a single Cooley grad.  There are 14 Nalp firms in Tampa.  I don't have time to search them all, but the first 5 have never hired a Cooley grad.  Apparently, their reputation isn't that great in Tampa.  I suspect the same holds true for many of the other states that have Cooley campuses.  In law, reputation is often everything.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
I agree with the gist, but not the specifics. Do any of those firms hire anyone from out of the top 14? 

Cooley often gets singled out because they are a T4, making it seem its just them that suck, when in fact many schools have hiring issues with the big law firms.  There are countless schools that could be substituted for "Cooley" in this analysis.

I going to Cooley a good idea?  Probably not for most.  FL has several tank schools, not just Cooley.  Ever talked to a FL Coastal grad?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 12:15:17 AM »
I agree with the gist, but not the specifics. Do any of those firms hire anyone from out of the top 14? 

Cooley often gets singled out because they are a T4, making it seem its just them that suck, when in fact many schools have hiring issues with the big law firms.  There are countless schools that could be substituted for "Cooley" in this analysis.

I going to Cooley a good idea?  Probably not for most.  FL has several tank schools, not just Cooley.  Ever talked to a FL Coastal grad?

I looked at the first firm in the Nalp list - Akerman Senterfittt.  Just a few that I saw where a guy from Florida Coastal in their Jacksonville office, a girl from Stetson in their Tampa office, and most University of Florida Levin grads.

My point is that they're both pretty bad schools, where you'll probably have a 70% chance of either being unemployed or living paycheck to paycheck after graduation.  Retake the LSAT and get into a better school.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Here's a nice little comparison done by the law school scam blog:

(source http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2012/05/using-legal-process-to-silence-critics.html )

Graduating class of 2010:

Percentage of graduates who obtained jobs with law firms of more than 25 attorneys:

Cooley: 1.1%
Stanford: 51.1%

Percentage who obtained federal clerkships:

Cooley: 0.0%
Stanford:  29.3%

Percentage who were unemployed nine months after graduation, or whose employment status was unknown:

Cooley:  34.4%
Stanford:  0.6%

Percentage who were employed and reported a salary:

Cooley: 6.5%
Stanford:  88.5%

lawschoolhopeful01

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
Cooley is a joke, and Capital isn't much better.  While Capital has a decent reputation in Ohio, it is probably the second worst school in the state (Dayton takes that honor).  My main issue with Capital is their high tuition rate.  I assume you were unable to gain admission to any public law school in Ohio.  Every one of those schools is not only better than Capital but cheaper.  But between the two of them, if you are paying full price, I'd pick Capital. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
Despite the T4 stigma, I've heard good things about Dayton.  They have a decent market in the area-  This is the danger of blanket generalizations, like "best" and "worst".  Given the choice between Capitol and Dayton, I'd pick Dayton.

John, buddy please stop putting me in a position where its necessary to defend Cooley. A comparison with Stanford- are you  f. in kidding me?

I'm not saying Cooley is great.  I'm not saying anyone should ever go there.  I am saying you are not being fair.  Skewing info to cater to a point is just annoying- and unnecessary we all know Cooley sucks.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
John, buddy please stop putting me in a position where its necessary to defend Cooley. A comparison with Stanford- are you  f. in kidding me?

I'm not saying Cooley is great.  I'm not saying anyone should ever go there.  I am saying you are not being fair.  Skewing info to cater to a point is just annoying- and unnecessary we all know Cooley sucks.

That comparison was ripped right off of another site.  At any rate, I believe it provides an apt comparison, as prospective students may not know how these stats usually pan out at a top school.

Here are some additional comparisons I ran with a couple Tier 2 schools:
(based on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/ stats)

Graduating class of 2010:

Percentage of graduates who obtained jobs with law firms of more than 25 attorneys:

Cooley: 1.1%
LSU: 11.29%
U of Houston: 21.1%

Percentage who obtained federal clerkships:

Cooley: 0.0%
LSU: 1.17%
U of Houston: 2.5%

Percentage who were unemployed nine months after graduation, or whose employment status was unknown:

Cooley:  34.4%
LSU: 6.8%
U of Houston: 6.3%

Percentage who were employed and reported a salary:

Cooley: 6.5%
LSU: 50.8%
U of Houston: 63.4%

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
Big law firms and comparisons with Stanford (or why not Yale or Harvard)? You think that is fair?  Most schools would fail these comparison.

USC looks pretty bad compared to Stanford too.  Does USC suck too?  How about BC or Rutgers? They suck too?  They must- Stanford is better.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
Big law firms and comparisons with Stanford (or why not Yale or Harvard)? You think that is fair?  Most schools would fail these comparison.

USC looks pretty bad compared to Stanford too.  Does USC suck too?  How about BC or Rutgers? They suck too?  They must- Stanford is better.

Did more comparisons while you were posting and Cooley still looks like sh1t compared to T2 schools.  Fair enough?  ;o)