Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DePaul v. Chicago Kent  (Read 1563 times)

judgedredd

• View Profile
DePaul v. Chicago Kent
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
Hello everyone,

Being new to this forum I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed a million times, but I would rather speak for my personal scenario see if I can make a more informed decision.

I planned to take the LSAT in December 2011. In my practices, I was not getting the numbers I needed so I decided to postpone the LSAT until February and possibly postpone applications until 2013.

I could not stand the idea of not starting law school this year, and decided I was going to give it a shot. I wanted to get into Loyola, so I applied there, Kent, DePaul and yeah... JM.

To my surprise, for applying in March, I got accepted everywhere except for Loyola (I think they are trying to avoid the academic inbreeding thing, since I graduated from their undergrad). John Marshall is giving me 34K, DePaul 48K and Kent 60K (which, given the difference in tuition between DePaul and Kent, the scholarship would be equivalent between the two).

I had already sent my tuition deposit to DePaul to avoid losing my seat before the deadline. THEN I got word from Kent. I know Kent ranks higher in the national rankings, but... is it just a superior school in the IP sense? Is it superior overall? I don't like the idea of the main campus being IIT (not a very nice area there, I don't want to dread going to the main campus for my law school). I had already gotten used to the idea of going to DePaul...

... But I don't want to make a stupid mistake. Should I back up and go to Kent? I was also thinking of working my ass 1L so that I could transfer somewhere better from DePaul, so I am not closing my mind to the possibility of transfering.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

JD

(LSAT 158, GPA 3.4)

DaRaiders

• View Profile
Re: DePaul v. Chicago Kent
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
Quote: "I don't like the idea of the main campus being IIT (not a very nice area there, I don't want to dread going to the main campus for my law school). "

As an FYI, Kent is located in the west loop and not at the IIT main campus.

judgedredd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »
Yes, I do know it is located in the west loop. I was just wondering if for paperwork and such, i would have to go to the MAIN campus in bronzeville.

DaRaiders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
From an administrative standpoint (registration, financial aid, etc.) along with classes are handled in the loop. Everything you need is right there.

jkrobins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Oh my, I am in the EXACT situation.

I was accepted to DePaul with a 60K scholarship with a GPA renewal requirement of 2.3 and accepted to Kent with the same scholarship w/o a renewal GPA requirement. I visited DePaul in March and loved it and I am going to Chicago this weekend to look at Kent. My mind was set on DePaul but now I am torn between the two.

I am coming from Florida and really do not want to make a silly mistake. I am just going to see Kent on Monday and see what they have to say.

(LSAT 151, GPA: 3.69)

Jonp713

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
I too got into both!

The trick is what part of IP do you want to go into? If you are interested in Technology and Computer Law, IIT can't be beat. Otherwise they are pretty equal!