Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle vs FIU  (Read 1021 times)

theryan

• View Profile
Seattle vs FIU
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »
Hey, it's getting pretty close to decision time, and the advice givers around me are pretty split on what they think I should do.  I've narrowed my choices between Seattle Law and FIU.  One for the location (Seattle) and one for the price(FIU).
I got into U of Miami, but after recent bar passage rates, and advice from local lawyers, FIU is a much better financial decision.  After scholarships it's going to cost about 11k a year to attend, and living in Orlando now, the move won't be so difficult.  However, I dont know if I like the idea of being in Miami for the next 3 years, or staying in Florida to practice law.

Seattle is going to run me about an extra 12k a year over FIU, it's really far away, and I'm slightly nervous about the constant gloomy weather.  However, I really like the city, and I feel like I'm running out of time to experience these types of life changing adventures.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially of you attend either of these schools, or you faced a similar decision. Thanks!

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Seattle vs FIU
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »
Seattle & Miami are two drastically different places  and I would recommend going to the city you want to live in. 3 years is a long-time and your going to make friends, probably get into a relationship, apartment, house, and all your internships will be in the city you end up going to. I don't think 0L's really think the importance of location through when enrolling, but 3 years is a long time especially with how law school works. A lot of people at the school I went to came from out of area expecting to go back, but the majority of them remained in-state. Some don't even particularly like the city and are home-sick, but our school's OCI/internships/etc were local and that is where they ended up working. Some people did leave, but it is an uphill battle to do it especially when your in school with money and a recent graduate with 100k+ in debt.

FIU is a great deal financially, but only if your a resident. If your a non-resident it is about the same as everything else. You know if your a resident or not, but some people don't pay attention to stuff like that when enrolling.

You should also visit both these schools and see what you think about the school itself. Each school has their own culture to it and whether you fit into or not is a highly personal decision. Talk to students, professors, admin, sit in on a class, and just see how people interact. The education itself is the same, but each school has their own culture and what you hate about one place someone else may love and vice versa the only person that can answer it is you.

Good Luck.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
Think about where you want to live after law school.

If it's Florida, I'd go with the cheaper tuition at FIU. That, combined with internship and clerkship opportunities, will probably help when it comes to finding a job. My understanding is that U Miami has a very good local reputation, but you mentioned recent bar rates? What happened? If it's just a one year anomoly, you still might want to consider Miami.

If you want to live in Washington, Seattle U will certainly provide better networking opportunities. The extra 36K (and remember, tuition always goes up, never down) is an issue, however. The fact is they're both good schools but neither has the kind of national reputation that's going to score you a job based on pedigree alone.

If you choose to attend a school outside of the area in which you intend to practice, it's important that you secure summer internships in that city. Don't wait until after graduation when you'll have to compete with the local kids who've already made their connections.

Good luck!

ekglaw

• View Profile
    • Evan Guthrie Law Firm
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
FIU
Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices estate planning probate personal injury accident and divorce and family law. Visit his website at http://www.ekglaw.com 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813

PotentialInABottle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
If you have a choice, Seattle.  Also, it depends on what you are looking for, Seattle has a really good writing program and has only UW as its superior in state.  In Florida, UF, FSU and UM are all "better" than FIU. 

Living wise, Seattle is a great environment to live in.  Despite the rain and clouds, it has a great social scene (as FIU is I'm assuming).  As mentioned earlier, you should visit these places if they are your absolute top choices

I'm from Washington, so I'm familiar with the Pacific NW.