Law Students > Job Search

For all those who cry about our jobs stats......

<< < (4/4)

jack24:

--- Quote from: Duncanjp on September 02, 2012, 03:01:26 PM ---I wasn't belittling a 4.0, Jack . It's certainly impressive, regardless of the graduate's major. . . .

--- End quote ---

I've managed up to ten employees at a time in my career, so I'm no executive level business guy here.  Still, I would take raw talent, energy, and enthusiasm, over "work ethic" any day.   Find the right mixture of duty, reward, and fear, and you can unleash them.  I recognize there is a significant risk that you will waste time and money in training someone who ends up being lazy and entitled, but there is also a huge long-term reward.

Before I passed the bar, I worked with four law firms (100+ hours with each).  Nobody involved wanted to manage at all.  My current firm is the same way.  They want you to just "go, go, go!"   I understand why they are that way, but that simply isn't the reality.  However, I think the new crop of employees has much more potential with the right management.

cooley3L:
I don't get why more students don't volunteer at legal aid while in school. They take almost anyone and give all the managment and help  one could want if needed. Plus a resume builder.

SoCalLawGuy:
From what I heard, it's hard to get a job even as a janitor with the economy these days so, yeah, attending law school doesn't mean you'll necessarily be a lawyer after you graduate.

pmt2103:
Cher,

I understand what you're saying, but please consider what the job market is like.  College graduates have a very difficult time finding jobs, even in retail.  Please consider people who have just attended school full-time because you do not know why they did not have a job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version