Law Students > Job Search

For all those who cry about our jobs stats......

<< < (4/5) > >>

jack24:

--- Quote from: Duncanjp on September 02, 2012, 03:01:26 PM ---I wasn't belittling a 4.0, Jack . It's certainly impressive, regardless of the graduate's major. . . .

--- End quote ---

I've managed up to ten employees at a time in my career, so I'm no executive level business guy here.  Still, I would take raw talent, energy, and enthusiasm, over "work ethic" any day.   Find the right mixture of duty, reward, and fear, and you can unleash them.  I recognize there is a significant risk that you will waste time and money in training someone who ends up being lazy and entitled, but there is also a huge long-term reward.

Before I passed the bar, I worked with four law firms (100+ hours with each).  Nobody involved wanted to manage at all.  My current firm is the same way.  They want you to just "go, go, go!"   I understand why they are that way, but that simply isn't the reality.  However, I think the new crop of employees has much more potential with the right management.

cooley3L:
I don't get why more students don't volunteer at legal aid while in school. They take almost anyone and give all the managment and help  one could want if needed. Plus a resume builder.

SoCalLawGuy:
From what I heard, it's hard to get a job even as a janitor with the economy these days so, yeah, attending law school doesn't mean you'll necessarily be a lawyer after you graduate.

pmt2103:
Cher,

I understand what you're saying, but please consider what the job market is like.  College graduates have a very difficult time finding jobs, even in retail.  Please consider people who have just attended school full-time because you do not know why they did not have a job.

kckeisel:
It still amazes me how many people complain about the number of jobs that there are available out there or how unhappy they are at their current position! I read this article the other day and found it very interesting! Why not keep looking for something that you can be happy with both personally and financially. There are plenty of opportunities out there if you look!

http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900042544/25-Reasons-Why-Most-Attorneys-Go-Crazy-And-What-to-Do-About-It/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version