Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taft or Concord Law School  (Read 13814 times)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Taft or Concord Law School
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
St. Francis... lol.  You've been warned.

GlenRPierre

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 01:14:40 AM »
Aside from the typical caveats regarding practice limits that come with an online JD, consider what your'e looking for in terms of post-law school experience.  If you're interested in practicing law immediately as a solo practitioner, or even with a law firm, make sure you're getting the skills you need.  From what I understand, even ABA law schools have finally "received the memo" that the case method is worthless and the smart ones are moving towards practical programs.  www.stfrancislaw.com  seems to have a program that is focused on teaching the actual practice of law.  Makes sense to me--after all, law was taught through apprenticeship years ago.

If you're looking for something that's just for knowledge, I suppose taft might be decent, but I would't expect to walk out with an ability to actually practice unless you self-teach (again, a consistent theme on these boards is self-teaching when you're at an online school).

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 01:46:15 AM »
Aside from the typical caveats regarding practice limits that come with an online JD, consider what your'e looking for in terms of post-law school experience.  If you're interested in practicing law immediately as a solo practitioner, or even with a law firm, make sure you're getting the skills you need.  From what I understand, even ABA law schools have finally "received the memo" that the case method is worthless and the smart ones are moving towards practical programs.  www.stfrancislaw.com  seems to have a program that is focused on teaching the actual practice of law.  Makes sense to me--after all, law was taught through apprenticeship years ago.

If you're looking for something that's just for knowledge, I suppose taft might be decent, but I would't expect to walk out with an ability to actually practice unless you self-teach (again, a consistent theme on these boards is self-teaching when you're at an online school).

It all sounds good and well, but I'm highly skeptical that any school has deemed the case method worthless and abolished the entire system.  What does St. Francis do that other schools don't?  Offering a high number of clinical classes doesn't cut it.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
Cart before the horse, the bar exams have not changed, so you want a school that teaches for the bar, all the rest is non essential.  No law school can do more than acquaint a student with actual practice.