Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taft or Concord Law School  (Read 12739 times)

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Re: Taft or Concord Law School
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
Why "concede?"  That's what I'm calling "... lame, subjective, and unsupported ..."  It only encourages narrow minded people to believe they have some sort of plausible argument.  The other guy's argument shouldn't even be considered as having any sort of merit.

Like it or not, he makes a very plausible argument.  I agree with you insofar as the correct definition of "success" is arguable. But it's just silly to ignore the fact that a graduate of an online law school is going to be hampered, rightfully so or not, with more than a few career hurdles. A few of which will never be successfully navigated, no matter how brilliant the individual may be. For instance, no one from an online law school will ever sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.

sollicitus

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »
Why "concede?"  That's what I'm calling "... lame, subjective, and unsupported ..."  It only encourages narrow minded people to believe they have some sort of plausible argument.  The other guy's argument shouldn't even be considered as having any sort of merit.

Like it or not, he makes a very plausible argument.  I agree with you insofar as the correct definition of "success" is arguable. But it's just silly to ignore the fact that a graduate of an online law school is going to be hampered, rightfully so or not, with more than a few career hurdles. A few of which will never be successfully navigated, no matter how brilliant the individual may be. For instance, no one from an online law school will ever sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.

why not?

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »

why not?

You're kidding, right?

Never is a really long time though, isn't it? Well, I suppose if brick and mortar schools fall to the wayside and Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and handful of outliers begin teaching law exclusively online, it's possible.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
Slaving away at big law is hardly my idea of success.  No one who wants to go into big law or be a judge's clerk is going to attend an online school. Therefore, the online grad obviously has an immediate and realistic goal of "mal"practicing solo for a few years first and then getting better and specializing.  Online grads with unrealisitic goals are likely not the type who are going to pass the FYBE.  Taft is upfront in its materials, it is not a scam and has a modest group of lawyer alumni.  The online attorney is facing the same challenges as a non ABA grad or a T-4 in the current job market.  Mr. T-1 will miss all the fun in representing SSI cases and doing public defense and instead will be working mind numbing hours doing dumb ass document reviews.  I pity the fool.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »

Why not? A law degree is not even constitutionally required to sit on SCOTUS.  People may get fed up with the ABA as the self appointed guardian of who is qualified.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »

*Is Opie58*
*Thinks he is a "ruthless pitbull in the courtroom" who will never back down*
*Furiously writes 2/3 of reply to Motion for Summary Judment on minor point that should be conceded*
*Wonders why judge just dismissed his personal injury case on summary judgment*

Opie58

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »

why not?

You're kidding, right?

Never is a really long time though, isn't it? Well, I suppose if brick and mortar schools fall to the wayside and Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and handful of outliers begin teaching law exclusively online, it's possible.

So, you’re saying ALL the SCOTUS Justices who sat on the Court before the existence of some self-appointed elitist ABA group came along and all the pivotal rulings on Constitutional Law are irrelevant because those pre-ABA Justices failed to graduate from an ABA-approved school and shouldn't have been sitting on the Court?  A bit short-sighted, don’t you think?  That's the problem with those little groups who become too big for the britches.  Who’s to say the ABA will be around 10, 20 years from now.  Like “jonlevy” asked, where does it say someone has be a graduate from an ABA-approved school?  Why are we even entertaining the idea that someone has to make limitations on people to prosper in a Country founded on the principles of “… Life , Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness …”  Are we so willing to become enslaved by a Government that is to be limited, not given unilateral or uncontrolled, power?  Guidelines are one thing, but limitations are way too much.

Opie58

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »

*Is Opie58*
*Thinks he is a "ruthless pitbull in the courtroom" who will never back down*
*Writes 2/3 of reply to Motion for Summary Judment on minor point that should be conceded*
*Wonders why judge just dismissed his personal injury case on summary judgment*

Maybe.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
Mr. T-1 will miss all the fun in representing SSI cases and doing public defense and instead will be working mind numbing hours doing dumb ass document reviews.  I pity the fool.

Or, the T-1 grad clerks for a federal court, goes to a mid-sized firm, argues a MTD worth $500,000 his first week there, wins said MTD against overzealous TTTT, decides he wants to clerk at a prestigious foreign tribunal, applies and gets accepted to prestigious foreign tribunal.

None of those options would have been available had I graduated from an online law school.  I'd rather have more doors open to me at the begining of my career than to be stuck litigating SSI cases and DUI defense and have to constantly prove myself to others.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
But that's what I said from the start, only a slightly delusional individual would go into online law school if their initial goal was anything other than solo practice in California.