Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taft or Concord Law School  (Read 13421 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taft or Concord Law School
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »
Again, do a little research, so that your comments are backed by actual knowledge.
Angie

sollicitus

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
I'm a thrid year ABA lawstudent who used to work for the govt you mention and has looked into the online options and requirments (chose not to do so but still looked into it)

I know you tried law school and then quit for a better life as a paralegal, but I still know stuff too believe it or not.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
Which school do you attend?  Which agency did you work for?

I didn't quit law school, per se.  I just never had the money to finish on my own.  And, I don't see a rich man in my future.  The paralegal certificate I earned was within my budget.
Angie

sollicitus

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
I was Army. No job in the govt is bragging rights. Not even at the VA.

You seem to know your local areas laws, that is all you need to know to work there I guess. A lot of what I refer to is laws from what I suspect are other areas. Lawyers have to take an exam called the MPRE. That is where I get most of my practice ethics that may seem odd to you (including the idea that paralegals shouldn't run their own companies even if their clients are lawyers) I know there is no license required for paralegals, and the few nonrequired you seem to plan to take but take the MPRE too. It will help you understand what lawyers think and are required to do and not do. Most areas allow anyone to sit it (even paralegals) and if you pass it that would look good on a resume since most never will even attempt it. Trust me though, you should at least read the prep books. It will help.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 03:36:56 AM »
This thread is fcking stupid. 

Do not attend either of these schools!

If you couldn't crack the second tier, you have absolutely no business practicing law.  You have been warned.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
"If you couldn't crack the second tier, you have absolutely no business practicing law.  You have been warned."

That's about as stupid as the other stuff posted.

Opie58

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 12:09:53 PM »
This thread is fcking stupid. 

Do not attend either of these schools!

If you couldn't crack the second tier, you have absolutely no business practicing law.  You have been warned.

And those that have & are successful???

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
And those that have & are successful???

(1) It depends how you measure success.  The way I define it, they're somewhat rare;
(2) Generally, your chances of being successful significantly decline with each jump in tier.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
And therein lies the rub--not everyone's definition of success is the same. So to conclude that anyone who doesn't crack the second tier, should forget about practicing law is just plain stupid. There are many great lawyers and judges who attended law schools that ranked outside of the top 50. Yes, the likelihood of success increases as one moves higher toward the top 14.  But success in many ways is a personal decision that's unaffected by outside circumstances.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
Yep.  Just like one can be "successful" if they win the Special Olympics.

I agree, it was a bit extreme.  But, sometimes, that's what you need to get people to understand that they shouldn't go to law school.  The admission requirements for Tier 2 schools aren't exactly stringent.  Retake the LSAT if you believe you don't belong in a T3 or T4.  Stop feeding the law school bubble and don't ask for a bailout when you can't repay your loans.

I challenge anyone on this board to name 15 successful grads (v100 firm, federal judges, diplomats, CEO/Lead Counsel @ Fortune 500, etc.) from each one of these schools.

Oh, and if you're interested in seeing what the top 47.4% of Taft Law School grads were up to in 2002, before the market crash, here you go:
http://www.taftu.edu/tls/surveyresults.htm

Funny that 89.2% went to Taft to become attorneys, but only 54.1% of the 47.4% that answered are actually practicing law.

I know a paralegal that was enrolled in one of these online scam schools.  Her mind was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN when she discovered that she could never be eligible to practice law in her home state and that the only place she could take the bar was California.