What do you think

Stay at Syracuse (same as undergrad)
 0 (0%)
Go to Hofstra
 0 (0%)
Irrelevent Factor
 2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Same School As Undergrad?  (Read 715 times)

matt690

• View Profile
Same School As Undergrad?
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:30 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a quick but important question.

What is everyone's opinion on attending law school at the same university as undergrad?

Are there any pros or cons as to doing this (not a top 25 school)?  How much does school matter if it is not a top 25 school?  Would I already be able to take advantage of alumni from the school since I went there as an undergrad, and would it be more beneficial to branch out and go to another school to tap into another alumni base?  Would going to a different school be positive diversification, and would remaining at the same one be viewed negatively?  Is this a relevant factor to weigh when choosing the school v.s. a similarly ranked but different one?

(The school is Syracuse and the alternative and new school would be Hofstra).

Thanks so much.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Same School As Undergrad?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a quick but important question.

What is everyone's opinion on attending law school at the same university as undergrad?

Are there any pros or cons as to doing this (not a top 25 school)?  How much does school matter if it is not a top 25 school?  Would I already be able to take advantage of alumni from the school since I went there as an undergrad, and would it be more beneficial to branch out and go to another school to tap into another alumni base?  Would going to a different school be positive diversification, and would remaining at the same one be viewed negatively?  Is this a relevant factor to weigh when choosing the school v.s. a similarly ranked but different one?

(The school is Syracuse and the alternative and new school would be Hofstra).

Thanks so much.

I really don't think this is a factor whatsoever.  I don't think anybody looks down on you if both schools are the same.

The school your law degree is from will be of paramount significance.  Your undergrad institution will almost certainly have little to do with anything.

You'll be hired out of law school based on the strength of your school and your class rank.  Also, on your ability to network.  Any other factors are marginal, at best.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Same School As Undergrad?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
About the only advantage is that you'll have only one school hitting you up for donations, rather than two.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.