Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Political Experience - To include or not to include?  (Read 406 times)

Flynnsanity

• View Profile
Political Experience - To include or not to include?
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:31:27 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a while away from applying to LS, so this is a bit premature. That said, I'm currently working part-time for a Republican Presidential Campaign and I'm curious if this sort of experience would be something that could add to or detract from my future application. I'm not desperate for resumé material, but if this would be beneficial, I would want to include it. So what are your thoughts? Is it a pro? Is it a con? Should I just keep my political persuasions to myself for the law school admissions process?

Thanks.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Re: Political Experience - To include or not to include?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »
I would look at the school's political inclinations to which you plan to apply and adjust your resume accordingly. For instance, if you apply to Regent University, you might want to include it. It might not help your prospects, but you can rest assured that it won't hurt them either. But if you apply to UC-Berkeley, for example, you might want to exclude from your application package because there's just no way of knowing how your political ideology will be viewed by the admission council.

Flynnsanity

• View Profile
Re: Political Experience - To include or not to include?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:17:26 AM »
Thanks for the honesty and input, Cereal. If I do end up with an LSAT score that would allow me to aim for a T14 school, any thoughts on which to include the experience in and which not to? Or is there a reliable way to gauge law school political leanings?