Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Whittier vs. Cal Western  (Read 1220 times)

adolly90

• View Profile
Whittier vs. Cal Western
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »
I know both schools are not the best of schools but if you HAD to go to one, which one would you go to?

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Re: Whittier vs. Cal Western
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Where do you plan on practicing? If you plan to practice in San Diego County or Orange County, I would suggest you attend the local school in that specific market. Regional schools tend to offer decent employment possibilities locally. Plus, if you attend a school in the market where you intend to practice, it allows you three years to get to know the legal community, and, more importantly, you can make yourself known to the legal community, i.e., through internships and externships, legal-related community service, etc.

If you plan of practicing elsewhere then I don't think it really matters which school you attend. So starting from that point, I would compare the tuition rates, potential scholarships, and, perhaps, any special program or legal specialization that you're interested in that is offered at one school but not the other.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
Pretty spot on above, but just want to add a few things. As stated location is a big factor although San Diego and L.A. are not to far away from eachother. However, you should visit both schools and see how you personally feel about them. Each place definelty has a kind of culture to it, and some people like how a certain school is and others dont. When I was choosing there were a few places I really couldn't stand and others I loved, but what I loved someone else may have hated and vice versa. So go to both schools talk to admins, professors, students, etc and just see how you feel. Remember you are going to be there for 3 long years, and if you stand the place for a visit it will be a long haul. 

Also if all things end up being equal I would think Cal Western would have an advantage with San Diego being a smaller market than L.A. You have 7 L.A area law schools and a lot of people from Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc wanting to move to L.A. more than San Diego. There is only 3 law schools in San Diego as well and none of them are top tier schools so all things are roughly equal there.

Good luck to you.

Paramedic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:34:53 AM »
Legend is spot on with analysis...here 's my take. If you aspire above 4th tier, many L.A. schools will tell you "Go to Whittier, get good grades and transfer [here]."
If that's not your intention, you plan on private practice (or you're borrowing to attend) I say attend P.C.U. and save your earning potential for other expenditures, i.e. a home. The academy ought not become a debtors prison. There isn't too much "difference" between a 4th tier and a C.B.E. school. Additionally, if an employer will hire a 4th tier grad, they'll hire a C.B.E. grad IMO.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »
The previous posters have offered good advice.

One point I'd emphasize: consider scholarships. Both schools are probably equal in many respects and you should try to minimize your debt. The job market may be very tight when you graduate, and less debt will allow you greater flexibility.

Also, have you considered Western State, Thomas Jefferson, or La Verne? WSU and TJ are both in your preferred geographic regions and might offer scholarships. ULV is farther away, but also might offer a scholarship (depending on GPA/LSAT, of course).

Good luck!

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
Just FYI, La Verne is no longer ABA approved because of really bad bar passage rates.  I'm currently at Western State and we have  few students who tranferred.  Just letting you know in case you were looking for an ABA school!  :)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
La Verne is ABA approved, as of March, 2012.