Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part Time Grading Curve  (Read 1773 times)

oiuiuko

• View Profile
Part Time Grading Curve
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
Are students in the part time graded against full time students? I'm specifically curious if Fordham practices such a grading system. Thanks for the help!!

sollicitus

Re: Part Time Grading Curve
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
It depends. If you have a class that is all nights or all weekends, then they will be graded on a curve different than others due to being a different class. However if you sit next to a guy with 6 credits on the left of you and 16 credits on the right of you, they both and you will all get the same curve for the class in question.

Fair? Maybe.

oiuiuko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
Thank you for the reply, Apophenia!  Fordham's part time classes are all at night, while the full time classes are all during the day. With these different schedules, do you think there's any chance the two programs will rank students together? 

Thank you !

sollicitus

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
To get that answer for sure I'd recommend asking the staff. But, generally you are graded based on who is in the class with you. Some schools mix their part times with full times, many do seperate schedules to try to be more fair. You appear to be in the latter grouping.

In theory a school could still have a curve based on the both combined, but I doubt they would. Both groups would cry foul, each thinking the other had an unfair advantage. (one due to less classes, and the other due to life obligations that full timers tend to just don't have)

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
I'm part time evening and we are not graded against the daytime students.  However, there are daytime students who take some of our night classes and we are curved right along with them for that class.   

oiuiuko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Thanks, guys!