Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GMU vs. W&L  (Read 314 times)

mlam425

• View Profile
GMU vs. W&L
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
I've been admitted to and narrowed it down to GMU and W&L. I want to practice in DC afterward. GMU is cheaper with a better location, and I can't help but think I'll have more opportunities while I'm at GMU and closer to the city, while I keep hearing that W&L is the superior school. Suggestions?

Also, is it possible to negotiate a merit scholarship with either school at this point? My GPA was a 3.0 (grade deflated at Princeton) and my LSAT was 167.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: GMU vs. W&L
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
It is always still possible to negotiate a merit scholarship. Always. However, some schools will be more open to it than others.  Still, I was surprised at how easy it was to get schools to give more money just by asking.  And definitly try to play the two against eachother. It works.

As for which one to go to... I think you pretty much answered that in your own post.  Their ranking isn't going to make a monumental difference and it seems like you are way more into GMU. If that's the case, go for it. It's a great school with a better price in the city you want. Can't beat that.

mlam425

• View Profile
Re: GMU vs. W&L
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Well, I'm actually leaning towards W&L, I've just done a lot of research and it looks like the superior education, and similar if not better job prospects in the region than GMU. I'm just not sure about living in Lexington for those 3 years.