Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Commuting- Need your opinions  (Read 1116 times)

Unbiased

• View Profile
1L Commuting- Need your opinions
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
I am the parent of a lawyer and also of a future 1L.  I am having an argument with the future 1L  now that threatens our relationship and I thought it would be a good idea to poll all of you and openly share your opinions with her to settle the dispute.

The dispute:

She has been accepted at a good school and has been given a $34K scholarship as long as she maintains a GPA better that 50% of the class.  The tuition is $44k.

She currently lives 80 miles away in her boyfriends house.  Her car has 175k miles on it.

I offered to rent her an apartment near the law school, lease her a new car, pay the tuition difference, pay her college loans, pay the boyfriend her "rent" and pay all of her expenses for the time she is in law school (about $100k).

She says she wants to commute to law school from her boyfriends house.  And its all or nothing.  No compromise. I think it is unsafe and not doable.  I do not think she understands the amount of work required. 

I do not want her to loose the $34k and I am being firm on this.  Am I being unreasonable?

Unbias  (also Dad TY)

sollicitus

Re: 1L Commuting- Need your opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
I am the parent of a lawyer and also of a future 1L.  I am having an argument with the future 1L  now that threatens our relationship and I thought it would be a good idea to poll all of you and openly share your opinions with her to settle the dispute.

The dispute:

She has been accepted at a good school and has been given a $34K scholarship as long as she maintains a GPA better that 50% of the class.  The tuition is $44k.

She currently lives 80 miles away in her boyfriends house.  Her car has 175k miles on it.

I offered to rent her an apartment near the law school, lease her a new car, pay the tuition difference, pay her college loans, pay the boyfriend her "rent" and pay all of her expenses for the time she is in law school (about $100k).

She says she wants to commute to law school from her boyfriends house.  And its all or nothing.  No compromise. I think it is unsafe and not doable.  I do not think she understands the amount of work required. 

I do not want her to loose the $34k and I am being firm on this.  Am I being unreasonable?

Unbias  (also Dad TY)
How can you claim to be "ubiased" with all dad (and being her Dad)?
What is your career and have you been a helicoptor parent her whole life or just now?
Does she even want to go to that school or did she only take the lsat because you were on her back about it?
It sounds like she'll pick the BF over you (it would be F'd up if it were any different to be frank)
It sounds like you would spend the amount she'd be saving. Is there a lawschool closer to her BF? If so just pay for it there if you want to spend that mad cash so bad, what difference does it make who the check is wrote to if you just want to spend it and her get the degree?

If none is closer, let her do whatever she wants. Her life.

Unbiased

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
I am an unemployed construction worker, second generation in this country.  I will be borrowing the money from my IRA.  I suggested she take a Masters first.  It was her choice to pursue law school.

sollicitus

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
I am an unemployed construction worker, second generation in this country.  I will be borrowing the money from my IRA.  I suggested she take a Masters first.  It was her choice to pursue law school.

Ok. I hope she does well. Is there a school closer to her?
How is your going into debt a good idea? I'd focus on using that money to take care of yourself. She can take student loans if she needs to. It's on her.

Unbiased

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »

There is a closer school, but she does not want to attend and it is not nearly as qualified as this school.  Plus, they offered her less money ($24k) and a much more stricter scholarship, at 70% above class GPA.  That is very difficult to maintain.

DCLAX55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
I have been through a similar situation and would love to offer an opinion.  First, I need some answers.  "first responder" - What is your education, age, marital status, kids and what type of work do you currently do? Did you attend any school after high school and did you graduate?  If so, What degree (s) do you hold?

sollicitus

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »
I have been through a similar situation and would love to offer an opinion.  First, I need some answers.  "first responder" - What is your education, age, marital status, kids and what type of work do you currently do? Did you attend any school after high school and did you graduate?  If so, What degree (s) do you hold?

Who is "first responder" do you mean me? If so, how does my info affect your advise to him? If not me, who the heck do you mean?

sollicitus

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »

There is a closer school, but she does not want to attend and it is not nearly as qualified as this school.  Plus, they offered her less money ($24k) and a much more stricter scholarship, at 70% above class GPA.  That is very difficult to maintain.

So is your concern her drive with the older car? How many days would she be doing that? If daily for 5 days a week the price of fuel and repairs would be about the same as just paying cash at the local school. If you want her to be safe(and not just to try to get her away from the BF) why not use the money that you would spend of her rent to make her car payments on a new car?

DCLAX55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:45 AM »
First responder, would mean the first and only responder I've seen so far.  Your history and background would help decipher why your tone and thoughts are so negative.  You are definitely one sided and your background is what influences your opinion.  Do you have an embarrassing past?  Have you been through this before? This man is clearly trying to give his daughter the best direction and help anyone could give.  It seems she is making a decision (which affects the remainder of her life) over her "BF".  Why cant he move with her?  Why is he trying to control the rest of her life?  Just give me your history so I can eliminate you as the boyfriend and respond the the post.

sollicitus

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
First responder, would mean the first and only responder I've seen so far.  Your history and background would help decipher why your tone and thoughts are so negative.  You are definitely one sided and your background is what influences your opinion.  Do you have an embarrassing past?  Have you been through this before? This man is clearly trying to give his daughter the best direction and help anyone could give.  It seems she is making a decision (which affects the remainder of her life) over her "BF".  Why cant he move with her?  Why is he trying to control the rest of her life?  Just give me your history so I can eliminate you as the boyfriend and respond the the post.

wow.....as I suspecuted, worse alt ever. wow.
Stop pretending you are not the same person trying to vent but not smart enough to know how.
If you truely wanted to help the OP you wouldn't be playing these games. You are you. Shutup.