Law Students > L.L.M. Board

Perks to an LLM

<< < (2/5) > >>

john4040:

--- Quote from: Apophenia on April 12, 2012, 03:03:28 PM ---Why do you think then so many american grads still get non tax LLM's? I ask since there seem to be them offered at nearly every law school.

--- End quote ---

They're hoping for the best.  But, more times than not, it just doesn't pan out.

LLMs are known as the cash cows of law schools.  The schools do it because they can.  They care not about the desparate law students they lure in.  Afterall, how else will they fund their own salaries? 

Back in the old days (when there weren't so many lawyers around), an LLM was more valuable.  You'll notice that a lot of older lawyers made it into Biglaw with bullsh1t LLMs, like an LLM in "Litigation".  Today, the jig is up - an LLM rarely carries any weight.

sollicitus:

--- Quote from: john4040 on April 12, 2012, 03:47:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Apophenia on April 12, 2012, 03:03:28 PM ---Why do you think then so many american grads still get non tax LLM's? I ask since there seem to be them offered at nearly every law school.

--- End quote ---

They're hoping for the best.  But, more times than not, it just doesn't pan out.

LLMs are known as the cash cows of law schools.  The schools do it because they can.  They care not about the desparate law students they lure in.  Afterall, how else will they fund their own salaries? 

Back in the old days (when there weren't so many lawyers around), an LLM was more valuable.  You'll notice that a lot of older lawyers made it into Biglaw with bullsh1t LLMs, like an LLM in "Litigation".  Today, the jig is up - an LLM rarely carries any weight.

--- End quote ---

Do you think that is because there are just too many earning the LLM then? I know a lot of people complain about there being "too many college grads these days" (sometimes refering to PhD's and MBA's but often just any college grad at all, which is nuts since less than a third even finish a BA leaving almost as many unable to fully read and write at GED level)

I can see the supply/demand aspect of it as far as the LLM part goes.

Getting off subject a bit for a moment, do you think the number of BA grads has been a good or bad thing for the nation? I ask since yes there are more people able to do each trade but growing up I couldn't make it a day without hearing teachers cry about how "we are falling behind the Japanese, if we were all smarter we'd do better as a nation and have a better economy" So now I hear the never ending converse of that. What's your take on it? More educaton = better or = worse, and why?

john4040:

--- Quote from: Apophenia on April 12, 2012, 03:03:28 PM ---Do you think that is because there are just too many earning the LLM then? I know a lot of people complain about there being "too many college grads these days" (sometimes refering to PhD's and MBA's but often just any college grad at all, which is nuts since less than a third even finish a BA leaving almost as many unable to fully read and write at GED level)

I can see the supply/demand aspect of it as far as the LLM part goes.

--- End quote ---

Oversupply is only part of the problem.  Demand has significantly dropped off as well.  Employers have taken the position (rightfully, IMO) that a JD is all that is necessary to guage practice potential, and that the slight educational benefit gained from the LLM rarely overcomes lackluster JD performance or lack of actual work experience.


--- Quote from: Apophenia on April 12, 2012, 03:03:28 PM ---Getting off subject a bit for a moment, do you think the number of BA grads has been a good or bad thing for the nation? I ask since yes there are more people able to do each trade but growing up I couldn't make it a day without hearing teachers cry about how "we are falling behind the Japanese, if we were all smarter we'd do better as a nation and have a better economy" So now I hear the never ending converse of that. What's your take on it? More educaton = better or = worse, and why?

--- End quote ---

(1) I think this country needs to focus more on the maths and sciences.  Innovation is key to the growth of the US;
(2) I think that too many people are going to college in the US.  Some people have no business going to college and should, instead, learn a craft.  Many people go to college and don't learn a damned thing - in fact, my high school offered a far more rigorous education than my college; and
(3) Teachers are self-interested.  More students = more $$$.

sollicitus:
So then should we start encouraging people NOT to go to college?

john4040:
Yes.  Raise the admission standards and erect higher barriers to getting federal loans.

People won't simply choose not to go to college.  Everyone thinks they're a special little snowflake - afterall, their mothers told them so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version