Law Students > L.L.M. Board

Perks to an LLM

<< < (4/4)

jonlevy:
I already do.  Anyone with 2 years PQE from certain states like California can take the bar exam for England and Wales.  The former QLTT which I took was a three day open book exam in New York. Surprisingly there were only three or four other takers.  They now have a new exam called the QLTS which I am unaware of.  Ireland offers a similar QLTT exam for California attorneys.  Not all state bars have a relationship with these countries' law societies though.

sollicitus:

--- Quote from: jonlevy on April 23, 2012, 09:24:07 AM ---I already do.  Anyone with 2 years PQE from certain states like California can take the bar exam for England and Wales.  The former QLTT which I took was a three day open book exam in New York. Surprisingly there were only three or four other takers.  They now have a new exam called the QLTS which I am unaware of.  Ireland offers a similar QLTT exam for California attorneys.  Not all state bars have a relationship with these countries' law societies though.

--- End quote ---

interesting, so a non-aba CA grad can have an advantage a T-1 grad from another state very likely will not have?

jonlevy:
Has to do with the California bar's reciprocity agreements:

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/qltt/certofeligform.pdf

CA Law Dean:
I thought I might renew this discussion to get an update on current LL.M. opinions. Our law school (Monterey College of Law) is the first California accredited (non ABA) law school to offer an LL.M. Our first two students are foreign educated lawyers, neither of whom intend to practice law in the US, but will take their experience back to their home countries where they believe that it will give them a unique practice advantage. We have also had inquiries from foreign educated lawyers who wished to use the LL.M. to qualify for the California bar exam. Although this is allowed, when we outlined what we thought was actually necessary to accomplish this feat (vs. just taking their money and wishing them good luck), it is a full-time one year commitment. No one has taken up the challenge yet. Although we are facility based (not online), we have flexibility to design individual LL.M. programs. Just wondering what flavor of LL.M. Programs might be appealing? We will not do tax because we do not have the expertise. We do have unique access to international law and environmental law faculty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version