Law Students > L.L.M. Board

Perks to an LLM

<< < (3/5) > >>

sollicitus:

--- Quote from: john4040 on April 16, 2012, 12:47:01 AM ---Yes.  Raise the admission standards and erect higher barriers to getting federal loans.

People won't simply choose not to go to college.  Everyone thinks they're a special little snowflake - afterall, their mothers told them so.

--- End quote ---

Good luck telling the parents that. Don't you know their kids as special?!?!?! ;)

So I take you are against affirmitive action then? (taking that race card aspect out of it) Afterall that is the ultimate example of putting someone somewhere not due to merit but due to what they look like in the mirror.

john4040:

--- Quote from: Apophenia on April 16, 2012, 08:31:44 PM ---So I take you are against affirmitive action then? (taking that race card aspect out of it) Afterall that is the ultimate example of putting someone somewhere not due to merit but due to what they look like in the mirror.

--- End quote ---

I'm not against certain forms of affirmitive action.  I think that there should be enough minority scholarships built into the system so as to make sure that minorities are adequately represented.  On the other hand, I wouldn't hand the scholarships out like candy, and they would be reserved for only the smartest within each group of minorities).

Maintain FL 350:
There are perks to an LLM, however those perks accrue to a very small number of students. Foreign attorneys, scholars, and tax lawyers might all benefit from an LLM assuming that it's obtained from a top law school (think NYU for tax law, etc).

Many students who graduate from non-elite law schools wrongly believe that an LLM from a more prestigious institution will give them an edge in the private sector. If they can get into a top ranked program, perhaps. An LLM from a tier 2-3, however, is probably a waste of money for the vast majority of students. I know a guy who got his JD at Loyola-New Orleans, his LLM at Duke, and was hired as a professor. I think his situation is the exception rather than the rule.

jonlevy:
I'm working on a foreign LLD, the perk is that it outranks in a PhD in the Commonwealth countries and establishes on was a bonified expert. Leiden offers a LLM as do a few other schools. 

sollicitus:

--- Quote from: jonlevy on April 17, 2012, 10:21:30 PM ---I'm working on a foreign LLD, the perk is that it outranks in a PhD in the Commonwealth countries and establishes on was a bonified expert. Leiden offers a LLM as do a few other schools.

--- End quote ---

Do you plan to practice in those nations?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version