Law Students > L.L.M. Board

Perks to an LLM

(1/5) > >>

sollicitus:
People like to talk smack about LLM's but there must be perks for people to keep enrolling in them.
Are there any LLM students on this forum, LLM grads, or those planning to enroll? If so why? What do you view as the perks? There must be some.

john4040:
Perks:

(1) You are a foreign student, but you backdoor your way into US legal practice through an LLM;
(2) You were not originally qualified for Biglaw, but you get a tax LLM from one of the top schools and backdoor your way into Biglaw.

/thread.

sollicitus:

--- Quote from: john4040 on April 11, 2012, 03:17:06 AM ---Perks:

(1) You are a foreign student, but you backdoor your way into US legal practice through an LLM;
(2) You were not originally qualified for Biglaw, but you get a tax LLM from one of the top schools and backdoor your way into Biglaw.

/thread.

--- End quote ---

So basicly only if needed to get licensed or if you have a 2.5 from drake and want to get into a harvard mans firm?

Does the LLM license thing work in all states? If so do you think an online grad with an ABA LLM could pull it off too?

john4040:

--- Quote from: Apophenia on April 11, 2012, 02:39:03 PM ---So basicly only if needed to get licensed or if you have a 2.5 from drake and want to get into a harvard mans firm?

Does the LLM license thing work in all states? If so do you think an online grad with an ABA LLM could pull it off too?

--- End quote ---

Your first sentence is correct (assuming that the grad from Drake got a Tax LLM and did well).  Generally, Tax LLMs are the only LLMs that can give a significant boost to a non T-14 US law grad in the Biglaw market. 

Now that I've put more thought into it, let me add a 3rd reason to get an LLM:  (3) US Law graduate graduated summa or magna and wants to break into legal academia. 

As to your second question, see pages 14 - 19 of this:  http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files/Comp-Guide/CompGuide.pdf
You will see that New York and California, two of the largest jurisdictions for legal work, allow foreigners to sit for the bar after completing the LLM.  In other states, the LLM allows foreigners to fulfill the "Legal education in English common law" and "Additional education at an ABA-approved law school" prongs that are often required.

sollicitus:
All good perks.

I take it that the LLM with a CBE JD dosn't do the same trick then? (unless CA declares itself a Republic again someday, so here's hoping for that Taft grads! ;) )

Why do you think then so many american grads still get non tax LLM's? I ask since there seem to be them offered at nearly every law school.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version