Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell at ticket price VS. Boston College with grants  (Read 407 times)

Flaming Ucalegon

• View Profile
Cornell at ticket price VS. Boston College with grants
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Hi all,

I've winnowed down my decision to Cornell and BC. I've got 20k in grant money at BC, whose tuition is already 10+ thousand less. Is a potentially 90 thousand dollar swing enough to offset the reputation/rankings hit? I foresee staying in the Northeast, probably in Boston after graduation, so I figure BC will play pretty well and I don't necessarily need huge geographic transferability (and definitely not to the West Coast or anything). Is it justifiable to turn down the T14 here?

Any input on this decision is much appreciated, thanks!

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Cornell at ticket price VS. Boston College with grants
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
Well first thing is what are the conditions on the scholarship? Usually it will be something like maintain a 3.0 stay in the top 35% of the class etc. Usually students just assume they will get a 3.0 or be in the top 35%, but there is a 65% chance you won't be in the top 35% and generally schools only allow the top 35% of the class to have a 3.0 first year. This article does a better job explaining the system than I can. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?pagewanted=all .

With that said if you want to be in Boston then going to school in Boston is probably the best decision especially if it is cheaper. Whatever law school you go to is where you are going to spend 3 long years of your life. I think 1L should be counted as dog years with how long that feels. You make friends, probably get a gf/bf in law school if you don't have one already, internships, all kinds of things and after three years of law school your roots will get dug in whereever you are. So if Boston is where you want to be I would consider Boston college.

Aside from location cost each school has a culture to it, and whether you like that or not should play a major role in your decision. When I was choosing some places really rubbed me the wrong way, and others I loved. It wasn't that any of these schools were great or horrible I just my own feeling about the place. What one person hated about X school I may have loved and what one person loved about X school I may have hated. The only person who can know whether your going to enjoy a school's culture is you. So visit both schools talk to students, admins, professors, etc and you will get a sense of what the place is like. Remember whatever you choose is where you will end up for three years.

With all that Cornell is more highly regarded than BC, but the further in my legal career the less I care about where someone went to school. Cost, Location, Culture, should play a bigger role in your decision than what some private for profit unregulated magazine thinks. It should play a factor, but don't let it be the main factor.

In closing realize I and anyone else that posts on this board or others is an anonymous internet poster who should not be taken to seriously. I do not know your situation or you, and I have never set foot on either of these campuses so I really know nothing about them. I also have nothing to lose if my advice is 100% wrong I just come in to procrastinate on other stuff I should be doing so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck to you and congrats on the acceptances.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: Cornell at ticket price VS. Boston College with grants
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
I got pretty similar packages from these two also.  I have BC ahead of Cornell and I'm not even as high on Boston as you are.  Cornell was a great place when I visited... I don't think its $90 thousand better than BC though.