Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED HELP DECIDING WHERE TO GO (Fall 2012)  (Read 561 times)

bglee

• View Profile
    • Email
NEED HELP DECIDING WHERE TO GO (Fall 2012)
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
im having hard time deciding where to go.
 :'( 
first deposit day is coming up and i need to make a decision asap.

currently, im

accepted: university of san diego, chapman, southwestern, whittier, western state
waitlisted: loyola la, pepperdine

i'll be staying on the waitlist but that itself is nerve breaking.

among the schools i got accepted, which one is the best choice i can make?

also, i changed my loyola apps from full time to part time when i returned the waitlist form.
what's the chance of getting off from loyola waitlist?

any advice is greatly appreciated  ;) thank you!

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: NEED HELP DECIDING WHERE TO GO (Fall 2012)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
Well first before you read anything me or anyone on any internet board realize all the advice from an anonymous internet posters, and should not be taken to seriously.

With that said I am assuming you want to work & live in Southern California and if that is the case you have step 1 down, because you are going to schools in the location you want to live in.

As for the actual decision there is no right answer nobody can say what law school is right for you. Then the rankings don't play much of a factor in schools of this caliber maybe Loyola could be considered prestigious by some in L.A. only and that is a maybe at best. As for the rest of the schools listed there all fine although I know Western State has had issues with accreditation on more than one occasion. However, I have seen good attorneys come out of the school.

Cost should play a huge factor in your decision look on LSAC at how much these schools cost if Whittier is 15k a year cheaper than Chapman then going to Whittier is probably worth 45k in savings. At least in my opinion, but others may have a different feeling.

One thing 0L's don't know about legal education is that you learn the same thing no matter where you go. At any ABA school you will have Torts, Contracts, Civ Pro, Crim Law, Con Law, and read Supreme Court cases. In Torts you will read Palsgraf, Contracts Hadley v. Baxendale, Civ Pro International shoe whether you go to Yale or Western you will be learning the same thing. You might have more engaging and experienced professors at Yale, but the substance of what you are learning is exactly the same. 

One thing to really consider is a visit to these schools and face to face interactions with students, professors, and so on. Each school does have a culture to it and you may like it or hate. I went to some conference at Chapman Law a few years ago and I personally liked the school a lot, but I don' t know much about the others. However, you might hate Orange County and the school I am just some person who liked Chapman. Visit these schools and see if the culture, students, suit you remember you will be there for 3 years and the only person that can really know if you like something is you.

In conclusion there is no right answer to this question when I was 0L I kept endlessly trying to find something that told me exactly what the right choice was, but it never came and it never will. No matter what school you go to you will wonder what if I went there and you might even ask yourself what if I never went to law school at all. These are questions you will never know the answer to it is a difficult decision, but usually your gut will be telling you something and listen to that above all else.

Also when making this decision I realize the interest is the easiest place to access information, but it is usually the most unreliable source. I post on here in between breaks and just write stream of conscious to kill time as most people do and there are no repercussions if I give awful advice.  Again with that said do the following 1) Analyze costs 2) See how YOU feel about the school when you visit 3) Location is a huge factor, but it looks you have taken care of that 4) Then see if there is any specialty the school has your interested in. (For example I wanted to do mock trial competitions and the school I went to funded a lot of them, which I really enjoyed and got a lot of experience out of.) Some schools don't fund these as much, but focus on other things. If you don't have any particular interest that's fine and then specialties shouldn't play a factor.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful and good luck on your decision.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: NEED HELP DECIDING WHERE TO GO (Fall 2012)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
I think there should be a decent amount of people getting into Loyola off the waitlist.  As you move down the rankings it seems as though more and more waitlisted students are accepted.

I toured both Loyola and Pepperdine. *Personal Opinion* - It seemed like Pepperdine had A LOT more going for it. But like Legend said, its all up to the individual.

As for your current choices, all else being equal I'd say USD. But again, thats just me living your life.