Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers Newark vs. Cardozo vs Minnesota  (Read 773 times)

brcsurf1

• View Profile
Rutgers Newark vs. Cardozo vs Minnesota
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »
Not sure what my scholarships at these are but those are my main acceptances.  I want to practice in NYC.  I think each school is somewhat of a gamble.

-UMN is much higher ranked but in the midwest. If I dont do top 10%, I might not employable in NYC.
-Dozo is super expensive (47k), well reputed but consistently ranked ~50 (so not great).  Thats a lot of debt, plus living and commuting expenses. Big burden, even if I live at home and commute (1hr).
-Rutgers Newark is cheap (22k in state), easier to commute to, and I would likely have an easier chance at getting better grades, but how employ-able would I be?

Or do I retake the LSAT next year (already took one year off) or choose Rutgers and transfer?  I'd appreciate any help and advice.

oiuiuko

• View Profile
Re: Rutgers Newark vs. Cardozo vs Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
imho, if you want to practice in new york you should go to Cardozo.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
Nah, Rutgers has a market in NY, which is admittedly competitive as crap, and its less than half as much.   Even if Dozo were ranked higher, the cost is still way too much.  Once more, don't base everything on amorphous rankings.  As much as USNWR tries to make it as simple as their bogus numbers state, it can't be.  Many more factors involved.  Making this decision based on USNWR numbers can financially cripple you for life. 

Don't retake the LSAT, man.  If you aim too high you'll never hit your mark. GL.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
If you got in at UMN, you should get $$$$ from 'Dozo.  Don't go there unless you can go for pretty close to free.

lrt8000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:27 AM »
I would go with Cardozo especially if you want to work in NYC.