Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: could this help me get in?  (Read 709 times)

tybob23

• View Profile
    • Email
could this help me get in?
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:45:05 AM »
Okay, my LSAT score is not very high, but my GPA is quite good. Here is my question: Could a high Bench Press be a decent substitute for a low LSAT score? At a bodyweight of just 160 lbs, I can bench press 265 lbs! If I included that in my application, do you think it would help or hinder my chances of getting into a decent school? If you think I should include this, where would be the most appropriate place to mention it? I suppose I could include it in my personal statement or my resume. Which of those two things would be the most appropriate? If not my bench press, maybe my squat? I can squat 350 lbs! Which of those two would be more impressive to mention? I don't want to sound too cocky ya know?

Do you think a 265 lb bench press is impressive? Maybe they would expect a higher amount? Do you think schools like Harvard or Yale would require a higher BP than others? What percentile ranking do you think a 265 lb bench press would fall into? I'm thinking at least the 80th-percentile or possibly even higher. So what is your opinion on this? I think my impressive weight-lifting stats show a well-rounded individual that is not only intelligent but also very physically strong as well. Not that lawyers need to be physically strong in order to perform their case work or anything, but surely it is impressive now right? I'm thinking between a decent GPA and a high BP my chances of getting into Chase NKU are quite good, not to mention my very athletic father graduated from there in 1980.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: could this help me get in?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:28 AM »
You'll get in everywhere you apply!

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »
Let's break this down realistically. Being in the 80th percentile of bench press will prolly only get you into a T2 school... maybe a low T1 when combined with the squat.

My Advice: Retake the Bench Press. Shoot for 300, which according to my calculation is probably in the 96th percentile.  This is what T-14 schools will be looking for. 

Sure your 265lb BP sounds impressive compared to the average person.  But remember, you're not being compared to the average person.  You'll be compared to law students. And law students at the best schools routinely have 300+ Bench Presses and 400+ Squats.

sollicitus

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
ok, which one of you SOB's created an Alt just to post this BS?