Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pursuing a career in law with multiple felonies and DUI's  (Read 2197 times)

AspiringLaw

Pursuing a career in law with multiple felonies and DUI's
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
I'm not a high school student but didn't know where else to post this. I'm a 29 year old former construction worker that had a drinking problem and managed to get 3 DUI's over a relatively short period, I haven't drank in 3 months and don't plan on it for probably the next ten years or so, or in till I'm of probation. About 6 months ago I was arrested by the DEA for allegedly conspiring to traffick cannabis, maintaining a drug trafficking location, and possession of a small amount of percocet pills with out a persciption. I'm not an addict, and don't hang out with any of the same people anymore. I'm completely clean and won't do any drugs, marijuana, or drinking for a very long time... Drugs never.. If you were to just meet me you would never expect this in my background. Prior to this I was living in a Colorado with a medical marijuana recommendation from a doctor...... So, in high school I only had a 2.3 gpa but a 22 on the act. I been excepted to a state college last week and plan on pursuing a philosophy degree. Assuming I graduate with at least a 3.3 gpa and 160 LSAT do I have any chance of getting past the C&F portion of the Law school app? I'm not guilty of the marijuana portion of my charges but fear they may stick. I'm extremely dedicated even though my future is uncertain. Also I contacted several state bars where I'd feel comfortable practicing and they said I'd have to prove that I'm rehabilitated but there are no absolute reasons for not being admitted as long as they feel I'm fit and changed. Please let me know what you all think.. I'm wondering if any law school would take me 3rd or 4th teir? I want to practice in a small firm or as a solo.

sollicitus

Re: Pursuing a career in law with multiple felonies and DUI's
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »
you say 3 months like anyone should be impressed by that.

Can you get in, sure. Can you get pass C&F...........

You have to realize you are saying you have MULTIPLE ADULT FELONIES for THE SAME THING.

If you wait more years, you should have a better chance. You have to PROVE you have changed. You can do it, it will just take time.

I say take the LSAT, see how you do. If you get a 180, go on a full scholarship in a joint JD/MBA and get a good officer job while waiting for C&F to approve you.

Otherwise, no. It would not be worth it.

sollicitus

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
I'm not a high school student but didn't know where else to post this. I'm a 29 year old former construction worker that had a drinking problem and managed to get 3 DUI's over a relatively short period, I haven't drank in 3 months and don't plan on it for probably the next ten years or so, or in till I'm of probation. About 6 months ago I was arrested by the DEA for allegedly conspiring to traffick cannabis, maintaining a drug trafficking location, and possession of a small amount of percocet pills with out a persciption. I'm not an addict, and don't hang out with any of the same people anymore. I'm completely clean and won't do any drugs, marijuana, or drinking for a very long time... Drugs never.. If you were to just meet me you would never expect this in my background. Prior to this I was living in a Colorado with a medical marijuana recommendation from a doctor...... So, in high school I only had a 2.3 gpa but a 22 on the act. I been excepted to a state college last week and plan on pursuing a philosophy degree. Assuming I graduate with at least a 3.3 gpa and 160 LSAT do I have any chance of getting past the C&F portion of the Law school app? I'm not guilty of the marijuana portion of my charges but fear they may stick. I'm extremely dedicated even though my future is uncertain. Also I contacted several state bars where I'd feel comfortable practicing and they said I'd have to prove that I'm rehabilitated but there are no absolute reasons for not being admitted as long as they feel I'm fit and changed. Please let me know what you all think.. I'm wondering if any law school would take me 3rd or 4th teir? I want to practice in a small firm or as a solo.

ok. I went back and reread this giant clusterF. WTF. I would call flame, but a 29 year old drunk convict constuction worker WOULD type such a thing.

You couldn't think of where else to post this.........god............

in high school I only had a 2.3 gpa.......Assuming I graduate with at least a 3.3 gpa and 160 LSAT....
Trust me, it's annoying as hell to have a college graduate type the assumption BS. A high school 2.3........ Trust me if you went to Harvard with a 2.3 you STILL would not be getting a 160 lsat. Let's just be frank about that right now.

You say no drugs, but arrested by the DEA.

ok, my brain hurts, I'm done here. (wow, just wow)

Nova Juris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:35:11 PM »
As someone above has mentioned I would certiantly take the LSAT and see what your score is.  Depending on your score you could re-evaluate the decision to apply to law school.  Do you have an undergraduate degree?  I'm guessing since your in construction the answer is NO but please correct me if im wrong.  If not - then applying and graduating from undergrad school will be your first step.

"So, in high school I only had a 2.3 gpa but a 22 on the act. I been excepted to a state college last week and plan on pursuing a philosophy degree. Assuming I graduate with at least a 3.3 gpa and 160 LSAT"

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
Don't listen to this dic.k.  Or me, really, for that matter. 

Are you dealing with felonies or misdemeanors?  Felonies aren't an out right bar in most states, but still not good.

Is law out of the question? Probably no.  Finish your undergrad degree and go from there.  DUIs are very common.  I doubt there is a grad school in the country where someone doesn't have a DUI. Trafficking? Eww, I don't know about that one. You will have to disclose all this likely, regardless of the dispo.

How long are you on probation?  That may be a problem, but not a bar.  There is a law student at Tulane that is on parole from a murder conviction. Point is, it can be done. 

You posted this in a bad spot.  Try the other boards, there are a few (in applications, I think) that address this- and guess what, DUIs are involved. There are a few that discuss felonies too.

Your high school numbers are irrelevant. Don't plan on a 160 necessarily, if you can then great, but 160 is a good score- you haven't even seen how you do in college yet.  Take logic and math.   

A little better editing can't prevent attacks from fools like the above.  If you do end up in law you will deal with people like this all the time.  We call them Butters- so insecure they lash out.  GL. Just focus on undergrad for now. This bridge is years down the road.

"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »
I don't know what to say, you certainly have a colorful past. From what I've heard, if you can demonstrate the state that you have really changed you might have a chance so don't give up just yet.

cooley3L

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:51:39 AM »
I don't know what to say, you certainly have a colorful past. From what I've heard, if you can demonstrate the state that you have really changed you might have a chance so don't give up just yet.
SoCal, if you need a friend to talk to PM me bro, no need to raise dead threads with an OP that is no longer even a member.