Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 4 to Top 25/Top10 chances  (Read 2372 times)

lawschool0987

• View Profile
Tier 4 to Top 25/Top10 chances
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
I am a first year student at a Tier 4 school and I have a full tuition scholarship. I have a 3.7 GPA and on book award for the highest grade. I am probably about top 8-10% in my class but we don't get rankings until the end of the 1L year. I am going to apply to Michigan (T~7) and ND Law (T~23). Thoughts on my chances? I went to a top 25 public university for undergrad with a 3.5 GPA and a 161 on my LSAT (although I'm not sure that matters after 1L year???)

kjw5029

• View Profile
Re: Tier 4 to Top 25/Top10 chances
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
I don't know what your chances are for those schools, but I can say I went to a tier 4, finished in the top 3% and was denied at the only T10 school I applied to.  I ended up choosing a tier 2.  Anyway, you mentioned your undergrad grades and lsat.  As far as I know, those matter very little in the transfer process.  I imagine they are taken into consideration to some degree, but every school I asked about this when I transferred said the decision weighs "heavily" on your first year performance.  The impression I got is that the target school only cares about your first year rank and the rest is nearly irrelevant.  Other people may have different opinions.  You could also contact those schools or check the transfer statistics LSAC provides.

Hope this helps. 

lawschool0987

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »
Thanks for your response.  Do you mind if I ask what the ranking was of your T-2 school? Trying to gauge where else I should put out some applications. 

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
It was somewhere around 80 when I transferred (I don't remember exactly).  I got into better schools, but I chose it for its IP program since I wanted to practice patent law.  I applied all across the board (T1-T3) because I really wanted to get to a specific location.  I'm pretty sure I sent many more applications than the typical transfer student (about 10-12). 

lawschool0987

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »
Thank you! What was the highest ranking school you got into? I too am trying to transfer out of my current location as I don't want to be stuck here for the rest of my career and hoping that a transfer up will help me increase my job prospects.  Any tips on the transfer process and specifically the personal statement? Also, were you offered a scholarship at your school to stay?

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
I don't remember what the highest ranking was for the schools that I was accepted to.  I transferred for similar reasons.  Location was a huge part of it (as it should be). 

As for the personal statement, I can honestly say I'm not even sure what I wrote about.  I don't think it was anything great.  Tbh, I'm not even really sure what school's look for a personal statement.  I'm sure it varies.

I had a scholarship at my first school coming in and they offered me a very large scholarship to stay beyond my first year.  I decided that if it wasn't a free ride, it wasn't worth it for me to stay.  They offered me something less than a full ride, so I jumped ship. 

lawschool0987

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
thanks for your help! I'm currently on a full ride scholarship and should be able to keep it up for the next two years (only need a 2.5 GPA!). So that will definitely be somethign to consider in transferring as I am basically able to graduate debt free. Did you find that you are happy in transferring even though you gave up a sizable scholarship at your 1L school? I guess I'm willing to do it if I get into a top school but what are your thoughts about getting into a top 40-50 school? Worth it?

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »
I'm very happy with the decision.  Looking back, for me, even if I had a full scholarship, I should have transferred.  I didn't like the location I was in and the job prospects from my previous school were limited.  I've been told that it is very helpful to attend a school in a location you would like to practice.  I've found that to be the case thus far because many job postings on my school's jobs board are from alumni who limit their search to students from the school's they attended.  I've also been told that outside the T14, school's are very regional with respect to hiring post graduation.  Therefore, location should probably be considered as well as (if not more than) school rank in your decision.  My school was ranked lower than the 50 limit you specified, but including other considerations (like its IP program and location), it was the right choice for me.