Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone getting scared about their decision to go to law school  (Read 7440 times)

oiuiuko

• View Profile
Re: Anyone getting scared about their decision to go to law school
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
This conversation about how brutal the legal market is reminds me a lot of what I heard before pursuing a career in the entertainment industry. As hard as it is, the legal field is not more competitive than entertainment.  From my experience, if you cultivate your talents, work hard and know the right people, you will most likely be marketable.  Turn that frown upside down and keep hustling  ;)

Too bad the entertainment industry has nothing to do with the legal industry.  You might be able to make a comparison if you ignore the fact that a law degree puts you potentially a quarter million dollars in debt whereas the entertainment industry doesn't.

1. Entertainment industry has nothing to do with the legal industry? So all those attorneys working in entertainment, and all those 'entertainment law' journals you find in law schools do not suggest a strong connection between the two industries?

2. Pursuing a career in entertainment can put you in just as much debt, if not MORE, as a relevant program at a private undergrad can be MORE expensive than attending law school.

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
I'd say the way to go is to go to law school if you must.  Do your best.  Then vote Democrat until the day you die because Republicans are the a-holes who made student loan debt non-dischargable in bankruptcy.

Yeah, those a-holes. The very idea of thinking that the government shouldn't let intelligent adults blithely off the hook after they have signed contracts to pay a price they agreed to pay in exchange for something they wanted. Fuckers.

If you disagree with the concept of bankruptcy, so be it.  Suffice to say that it has been a part of American life for quite some time now.  Perhaps living in Victorian-era England would be more your style.  After all, debtors prison seems like a wonderful idea.  Why in the world would you ever allow people to have a fresh start, especially after Republican policies got the economy to this point?

You're assuming that the quantum of forces that push and pull on the nation's economy distill down to the influence of a single political party. This militates against everything I've learned in law school. I would maintain that both of the two major parties share equal credit for the status quo of the economy. At the same time, a substantial amount of the pressure on the economy lies well outside the power of either party, or both parties together, to withstand. It's a global economy. But ultimately, I don't want to see either party cut loose to work its terror on the country unchecked by the other.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
This conversation about how brutal the legal market is reminds me a lot of what I heard before pursuing a career in the entertainment industry. As hard as it is, the legal field is not more competitive than entertainment.  From my experience, if you cultivate your talents, work hard and know the right people, you will most likely be marketable.  Turn that frown upside down and keep hustling  ;)

Too bad the entertainment industry has nothing to do with the legal industry.  You might be able to make a comparison if you ignore the fact that a law degree puts you potentially a quarter million dollars in debt whereas the entertainment industry doesn't.

1. Entertainment industry has nothing to do with the legal industry? So all those attorneys working in entertainment, and all those 'entertainment law' journals you find in law schools do not suggest a strong connection between the two industries?

2. Pursuing a career in entertainment can put you in just as much debt, if not MORE, as a relevant program at a private undergrad can be MORE expensive than attending law school.

Lol you can't really be so dense as to ignore the difference between working in the entertainment industry and working in entertainment industry law.  You also can't be stupid enough to fail to realize that going to law school requires undergrad as a prerequisite, and therefore would incur the same amount of debt PLUS law school costs. 

Crawl back in your hole, troll.

oiuiuko

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
Anti09 - Do not insult me on this forum with name calling. You will be reported for abuse. Be frustrated not with me, but with your own failure to communicate effectively in writing. To refresh your selective memory:

You said, verbatim: "the entertainment industry has nothing to do with the legal industry." Yes, you actually wrote this.

You also said, verbatim: "a law degree puts you potentially a quarter million dollars in debt whereas the entertainment industry doesn't."  This statement is absurd at best because it implies that an education in entertainment cannot potentially put you in just as much debt as a law degree when in reality it can. Disagree with my interpretation of what you said? Read your statement again. You are taking issue not with me, but with the most basic elements of english writing and logical reasoning.  Own up to the fact that your statements were absurd and you simply got called out on it.

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
Anti09 - Do not insult me on this forum with name calling. You will be reported for abuse. Be frustrated not with me, but with your own failure to communicate effectively in writing. To refresh your selective memory:

You said, verbatim: "the entertainment industry has nothing to do with the legal industry." Yes, you actually wrote this.

You also said, verbatim: "a law degree puts you potentially a quarter million dollars in debt whereas the entertainment industry doesn't."  This statement is absurd at best because it implies that an education in entertainment cannot potentially put you in just as much debt as a law degree when in reality it can. Disagree with my interpretation of what you said? Read your statement again. You are taking issue not with me, but with the most basic elements of english writing and logical reasoning.  Own up to the fact that your statements were absurd and you simply got called out on it.

lol you are just darling.  On the off chance you aren't a troll, let's take this one step at a time:

1) That's not abuse lil bruh.

2) You were comparing the job opportunities of the legal industry with that of the entertainment industry.  When I pointed out the fact that they were entirely unrelated, you then chose to re-interpret my statement literally.  As in, there was no relation whatsoever between entertainment and law.  Anybody with two brain cells to rub together knows this is not the case, and based on the context it is obvious what the statement intended.

3) Do you not know how to quote people on forums?  And you can stop saying "verbatim" lol.

4) I'm still not sure how someone with "an education in entertainment" (?) can spend a quarter million dollars doing so or why that would ever be necessary.  Did they spend seven years getting a degree in Theater Tech?  I'm actually genuinely curious.

5) I'm taking issue with the basic elements of English writing?  What? ...oh, forget it, you're clearly a troll.

oiuiuko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »
Anti, calling someone names is abusive. Therefore calling someone a troll is abusive. Do you follow my reasoning?  I hope that's not an overload.

I "chose to re-interpret [your] statement literally."  How was I supposed to interpret it?  Was I supposed to ignore the nonsense pervading the literal context and only consider the irrational, whiny emotional undertones?

To correct you again, some people with more than 2 brain cells may in fact believe that law and entertainment have nothing to do with each other; people can be incredibly ignorant. Consequently, when I don't know you and I read your silly post for the first time, I have no reason to assume that you aren't as ignorant and/or stupid as your post reads.

The basics of writing in English stipulate that your words be intelligible when interpreted literally if you want people to understand you. Let me know if that's not clear - I'm willing to work with you on this.

Your ability to communicate effectively in writing evinces your quality as a legal practitioner and advisor to prospective students. The kids here better listen up.

I would explain to you how an education in entertainment can create a similar amount of debt, but I'm afraid that informing you will lead you to actually back up your claims in the future with evidence, instead of just shooting from the hip - something that would take away much of the 'charm' that made your original post so much fun to tear apart.   

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
Anti, calling someone names is abusive. Therefore calling someone a troll is abusive.

Not if it's true lil bruh.

I "chose to re-interpret [your] statement literally."  How was I supposed to interpret it?  Was I supposed to ignore the nonsense pervading the literal context and only consider the irrational, whiny emotional undertones?

To correct you again, some people with more than 2 brain cells may in fact believe that law and entertainment have nothing to do with each other; people can be incredibly ignorant. Consequently, when I don't know you and I read your silly post for the first time, I have no reason to assume that you aren't as ignorant and/or stupid as your post reads.

So you're admitting you're wrong then?  ok, good.

The basics of writing in English stipulate that your words be intelligible when interpreted literally if you want people to understand you. Let me know if that's not clear - I'm willing to work with you on this.

Your ability to communicate effectively in writing evinces your quality as a legal practitioner and advisor to prospective students. The kids here better listen up.

TL;DR: blah blah, nonsense.

I would explain to you how an education in entertainment can create a similar amount of debt, but I'm afraid that informing you will lead you to actually back up your claims in the future with evidence, instead of just shooting from the hip - something that would take away much of the 'charm' that made your original post so much fun to tear apart.

So again, you're admitting that you're wrong?  Sweet.  Feel free to, you know, throw in an actual argument anytime.

oiuiuko

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
Anti - Once again, you're writing nonsense.  It seems english isn't your 1st language. You never passed the bar, did you?