Deciding Where to Go > Acceptances

Anyone getting scared about their decision to go to law school

(1/8) > >>

jbean29:
Between the articles, this forum, another forum I am on.. all I keep hearing is about how I will end up in debt without a job.

I have no other choice to attend a 4 tier at this point, and I am pretty confident that I will be able to transfer out.. that is my plan, but this is the rest of my life and I am about to get into a lot of debt and be thrown into a not great job market in 3 years.. I really don't want to regret ignoring everything I have been hearing.

But I honestly do want to be an attorney more than anything, and have always wanted to.

legend:
Well first thing you need to do is not take anonymous internet posters very seriously including me. I realize that getting everything this way is the easiest to access, but you have to think spending hours a day whining on the internet might have something to do with their struggles to find a job. They might just making the whole situation up as well bottom line is me, and anyone else on LSD, Top Law Schools, etc is kind of full of it and stories, experiences, etc get exaggerated or somebody is trying to sell you something. So just don't take it to seriously one way or another.

No with that said is the legal job market great? No it is not, but neither is anything else at the moment. The reality is finding a job has always been hard coming out of law school. Talk to practicing attorneys and ask how they got their start most of them will tell you it was not glamorous. I know mine wasn't, but it is going well now. The first two years out of law school though I struggled doing doc review and other B.S depressing jobs, but I eventually found something I really enjoy and have been at it for three years, and now I am glad I went to law school. There were certainly times when I questioned my decision during law school, while studying for the bar, and when looking for work after graduation. However, always remember education is a long term-investment and you have the right motivation for going to law school, which is you want to be a lawyer.

As for the Tier 4 thing I will be real and tell you are more than likely not going to transfer out. 100% of students at every ABA school are smart, hard working, motivated, and 100% of them truly believe they will be in the top 10 or 20%, which is where you need to be transfer. You can see how that math plays out there and there is a 80 to 90% chance you won't be in good enough academic standing to transfer out. Does that mean your legal career is over? No. There are plenty of good lawyers from Tier 4 schools and plenty of poor lawyers from tier 1. Remember U.S. News is a magazine nothing more and it can't guarantee how good of a lawyer someone will be. Furthermore, there are really weird that couldn't find a job at McDonald's in every law school, medical school, college in America. Your personality, work ethic, and ambition is going to play a big role in whether or not you succeed.

I won't say that going to a Tier 4 is better than going to a Tier 1, but getting into law school is an accomplishment in and of itself and something to be proud of. It is unfortunate that so many students feel so inferior, because an unregulated for profit-magazine in Pennsylvania says X schools is better than Y school.

I wish you the best of luck in your legal career, and sadly me nor anyone else can guarantee whether it will work out or not. However, law school is like any other big commitment, and it is scary and the debt is a real thing to consider. I would also be willing to be your first few years out of school won't be glamorous, but no matter what profession you start in it's not to fun working your way up. Again Good Luck to you.

john4040:

--- Quote from: jbean29 on March 27, 2012, 10:01:18 AM ---I have no other choice to attend a 4 tier at this point, and I am pretty confident that I will be able to transfer out..
--- End quote ---

BWAAHAHAHAHA!!!  You and everyone else at your T4 are "pretty confident" that they will transfer out.  Since only the top 5-10% will have that opportunity, that leaves a good 90-95% that are SOL.  You shouldn't go to a law school in hopes that you will transfer out - the odds are stacked pretty heavily against you.  But, good luck to you, you'll need it!

--- Quote from: legend on March 27, 2012, 04:06:31 PM ---getting into law school is an accomplishment in and of itself and something to be proud of.
--- End quote ---

No.  It used to be an accomplishment - until more and more law schools opened up that started admitting anyone with a pulse.

sollicitus:

--- Quote from: jbean29 on March 27, 2012, 10:01:18 AM ---Between the articles, this forum, another forum I am on.. all I keep hearing is about how I will end up in debt without a job.

I have no other choice to attend a 4 tier at this point, and I am pretty confident that I will be able to transfer out.. that is my plan, but this is the rest of my life and I am about to get into a lot of debt and be thrown into a not great job market in 3 years.. I really don't want to regret ignoring everything I have been hearing.

But I honestly do want to be an attorney more than anything, and have always wanted to.

--- End quote ---

I am confused. How can you "have no other choice" but to attend a T4 and still be sure you will be able to transfer out? Do you even understand that most of those who do, are 100% scholarships with 170 LSAT's who attended to save money and then transfered out when they finally got better offers elsewhere?

You know all this right?

If your "only choice" is purely financial or geographic, then you may be right. If it is due to GPA or LSAT, you are beyond wrong. Just accept it and move on. Even someone with a 2.0 in undergrad and a 150 LSAT can still get enough C's to graduate. Don't sweat that part, but don't lie to yourself either.

sollicitus:
I just noticed the part where you said you will "be in a lot of debt" at the T4. You are there for the "only choice" AND having to pay a "lot of debt" for it, so you can NOT be the 170 lsat and 3.9 GPA.

You will NOT transfer out. (period).

You should still be able to graduate since the VAST majority still do (even T4's have over 70% pass)
Just accept that fact right now, or it is a waste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version