Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full Tuition UNLV vs. 30,000 Minnesota  (Read 673 times)

blagger

• View Profile
Full Tuition UNLV vs. 30,000 Minnesota
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »
The title says it all.  Just wanted to hear people's opinions on full tuition at UNLV or 30,000 a year scholarship at Minnesota.  also 16,000 a year at WUSTL.  Any thoughts?

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Full Tuition UNLV vs. 30,000 Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
Well these are entirely different areas so first is where you can handle living for three years. Vegas, Minnesota, and St. Louis are all very different and you are going to be there a minimum of three years. The odds are whichever school you attend is where you will start working after graduation and your roots will get built in even further, and you will probably stay in that area for the rest of your life. I know there are exceptions, but the majority of law school graduates end up living, working, near where they went to school.

On top of that law school does not exist in vaccuum. Are you someone that can handle being in Vegas while going to law school? I personally don't think I could have, but that is why law school selection is a personal decision. Or are you from Miami and have never dealt with winter before? If so then Minnesota in November, December might be a shock to you. The cultures are different as well, and location should play a substantial factor in this decision.

As for the money that is something important to consider. If your getting scholarship money always pay attention to the conditions. Many schools will say you need to keep a 3.0 GPA to maintain your scholarship, but this is kind of a trick. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/law-school-grants.html?pagewanted=1&_r=4&smid=fb-share. This article does a good job explaining it, but basically a 3.0 in law school is nowhere near as easy a 3.0 in undergrad. Generally only the top 35% of the class can have a 3.0, which means 65% of students can't. With that being said UNLV does have very low tuition only 18k if your a resident so even if you lose it the costs aren't to bad.

You should also visit these schools, and see how you feel about them. I remember visiting and really not liking some schools while loving other ones. This had nothing in particular to do with the schools themselves, but just how I felt about them. Each school really has their own culture, vibe, etc to it and you should really figure if that culture, vibe etc appeals to you or not. If you can't stand a one day visit it will be a miserable three years.

Also remember me and anyone else on this board or anyone else is nothing more than an anonymous internet poster that knows nothing about you or your situation. Furthermore, there is no right answer to the  question of what school to go to. I got accepted into numerous schools, and I still always wonder what woudl have happened if I went to X, Y, or Z school and the truth is I will never know. You can research until the cows come home, but it won't really tell you anything. Use your common sense above all else I really don't know what it is about law school, but it makes smart people forgot how to use it. As an example if you want to live in Las Vegas after graduation, because your wife/husband has an amazing job there, your family is there, your friends are there, and you want to spend the rest of your life in Vegas. Then you should go UNLV and get about debt free. 

Well good luck to you.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: Full Tuition UNLV vs. 30,000 Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
Personally, I'd say Minnesota..