Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Annoying LR Question !!!!  (Read 1169 times)

hidaya7

• View Profile
Annoying LR Question !!!!
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
Ok, I'm starting to prep for the LSAT, and just got McGraw-Hill's  2012 6 practice test book.  I have used Kaplan in the past and found it to be easy to follow, but McGraw- Hill just seems a little wonky. For example this question:

"Grass has to be mowed every week during the summer but only about once every month during the winter. This is because during the summer the days are longer and the light from the sun is more intense. Both these factors combine to allow grass to glean more energy from the summer sunlight that reaches its leaves. Plants in general react the same way as grass does during the summer---they grow longer and faster for the same reasons grass does. People just do not realize this because, unlike growing grass that needs to be mowed,  the growth spurts of other plants do not require reciprocal actions."

Which of the following is assumed by the argument?

(A)  Juniper bushes do not need extra pruning during the summer months.
(B)  Grass grows faster in the Spring than in the Winter.
(C)  Increases in light always lead to increases in plant growth.
(D)  Mowing is a task that is not completely necessary during the winter when grass does not grow.
(E)  If there were no extra hours of sunlight during the Summer, plants would still grow faster because of the sun's extra intensity.
_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ ____________

I chose ( C) which I knew was wrong because of the extreme language "always", but I was running out of time and just filled it in so there wouldn't be a blank. The correct answer is (A) , but I think the question was poorly worded.
 Here's their reasoning: " Since a juniper bush is a plant other than grass, its summer growth spurts do not require any reciprocal human actions." Call me crazy but doesn't " no extra pruning" imply that it needs some pruning, thus reciprocal human action?  This question was just annoying so any insight would be helpful.

Micdiddy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Annoying LR Question !!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »
Wow, this does seem exceptionally poorly worded. Do they use only certified LSAC questions? Because I doubt that one was ever given on the LSAT.
Also, how is Juniper trees not needed extra pruning an ASSUMPTION by the argument??? That would mean this information is necessary to believe in order for the argument to be valid, whereas the opposite is true, if the argument is valid then Juniper trees not needing extra pruning is a conclusion of the argument.

Anyway, to answer your specific question, stating "extra" pruning means they know the plants need some pruning, but they do not need more pruning during summer than in winter.
Yes, very poorly worded and this question alone would make me put down whatever book you are using and buy another one.

Jeffort

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Discussion - Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question Type Finder Utility
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:15:06 AM »
That book contains fake/non-authentic LSAT questions.  Return it, burn it, throw it away, use it as a door stopper, whatever, just don't read it ever again. 

When prepping for the LSAT you should only study and practice with authentic previously administered LSAT questions.  There are 69 previously administered LSAT tests available now. 

If you are going to do self-prep, there are a few good prep books available that use only real LSAT questions and a lot of really bad books like the one you bought. 

You can purchase copies of the previously administered tests from LSAC or Amazon.  If you sign up for a live full-length prep class with a reputable company you will be provided with all or most of the available LSAT questions by the company as part of the course you paid for.

hidaya7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:32 PM »
 :) Thanks for your responses, thought it was just me. I have several authentic LSAT preps and powerscore's logic bible. I'm definately stopping mcgraw hill,  the only attribute is the logic games section, which is helpful for learning to diagram.

Henri_Allen

• View Profile
    • Estate and Succession Planning
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
McGraw-Hill is typically worried about revenue first, quality second. They probably didn't want to spend the money to obtain the actual LSAT questions.

NiceOne

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Preparation Services
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
Although I agree that the question is poorly worded, there is definitely a clear correct answer here.

The argument states that people don't notice plants other than grass growing in the summer because, "unlike growing grass that needs to be mowed, the growth spurts of other plants do not require reciprocal actions."

For this argument to stand, the premise that "the growth spurts of other plants do not require reciprocal actions" must be true.

Answer choice A: "Juniper bushes do not need extra pruning during the summer months," is an assumption that must be true for the premise "the growth spurts of other plants do not require reciprocal actions."  In other words, if the contrary of this answer choice were true, that juniper bushes do require extra pruning during the summer, the underlined premise above would be false and the entire argument would no longer stand.

Hope this helps.

oiuiuko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
I chose A. Knowing what to look for in incorrect answer choices allowed for process of elimination:

B. Because there's no mention of Spring, any inference you try to make about it will be a logical leap from the stimulus, and therefore highly suspect
C. When the language is this extreme, you must not select it unless there is direct evidence for the claim in the stimulus
D. A Logical leap without evidence in the stimulus.
E. No evidence for this statement in the stimulus.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
why yes, that annoying.