Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Birmingham School of Law  (Read 1305 times)

slim2061

• View Profile
Birmingham School of Law
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
I am considering law school for a myriad of reasons.  After looking and researching many different schools, I feel like Birmingham School of Law is my only option as the school offers a weekend program.  I work at a small law firm in Alabama and have settled into my hometown with a family, home, and I make about $48K a year currently.  Quitting my job to attend an ABA accredited law school, or a non-ABA accredited for that matter, is not an option.  There are no law schools that offer an evening program within a two hour drive from where I live.  The firm I work at will accept me as a practicing attorney if I choose to pursue law school or I can keep my current job there, with minimal opportunities for pay increases.  Also, the firm has agreed to assist me in paying for law school, so long as I can continue to work there throughout the time I will be attending law school.  Birmingham School of Law is about a 3 to 3-1/2 hour drive one way for me.  I have no interest in moving out of state or to another town, as my wife's family and my family also live in the same city as we do.  Based upon all this, I feel like attending Birmingham School of Law is a viable option for me.  Any opinions or feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Birmingham School of Law
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
If you are going to practice in Alabama, sounds like a great plan.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Hi.  I live in Georgia and was accepted to BSOL for fall 2011.  However, I made a test run to Birmingham from Atlanta and with all the road construction just over the state line, it took forever to get there.  So my plan for the weekend program crumbled.  I will wait until my son is off to college in a couple years (he is hoping for Auburn) then I might make move to AL and go to school there.  nice to have an option like that.  I wish Georgia had one. 

slim2061

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I think I am going forward with my plan.

CWFirm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »
Curious to know, what has your current employer offered in the way of tuition assistance? Is there a contract that details your responsibility?