Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools to Consider: 2.73 GPA, 172 LSAT  (Read 2798 times)

lawschool123

• View Profile
Schools to Consider: 2.73 GPA, 172 LSAT
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
I will be applying to law schools this coming fall (for Fall 2013), and I am trying to come up with an appropriate list of schools.

As you can see from the subject, I have an abysmally low GPA (2.73). The things that I have going for me are a degree from an ivy league school, three years of work experience in a scientific field, and a good LSAT score (172).

I would appreciate any advice regarding the range of schools I should aim to apply for. In particular, I would love to get some examples of the most highly ranked schools that I should consider as reasonable reach schools and the most highly ranked schools that I should feel secure considering safety schools. I want to aim for the highest schools I can get into, but I also want to be able to count on getting in somewhere!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Schools to Consider: 2.73 GPA, 172 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
I will be applying to law schools this coming fall (for Fall 2013), and I am trying to come up with an appropriate list of schools.

As you can see from the subject, I have an abysmally low GPA (2.73). The things that I have going for me are a degree from an ivy league school, three years of work experience in a scientific field, and a good LSAT score (172).

I would appreciate any advice regarding the range of schools I should aim to apply for. In particular, I would love to get some examples of the most highly ranked schools that I should consider as reasonable reach schools and the most highly ranked schools that I should feel secure considering safety schools. I want to aim for the highest schools I can get into, but I also want to be able to count on getting in somewhere!

Seems to me the 2nd tier is where you should be focusing all your attention.  Though, it wouldn't shock me if you got admitted to something in the #40-50 range.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
I would check out lawschoolnumbers to see where you realistically have a shot. I wouldn't put so much emphasis on rank, unless you get into a Top School. Odds are you will selecting between good schools, but they will be in very different regions. For example you could probably get into Hastings or Cardozo with the numbers you have listed, and they are solid schools, but one is in San Francisco the other New York. If you want to live in New York go to Cardozo, San Francisco Hastings.

To many 0L's think rank mean everything, but location, cost, how you feel about the school are what truly matter. The rankings should play a factor, but they change so drastically year to year particularly in the low tier 1, tier 2, and whatever system they have that results in a 7 way tie for 119th place. That it is to unpredictable to really get anything out of. If you get into Georgetown, NYU, Columbia, or something like that then take the rank into account, but with a 2.73 I'm guessing the best school you could get into is low tier 1, tier 2 and the rank of those schools is likely to change drastically by the time you graduate.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
What is your undergrad degree in?  I'm curious because you said you had work experience in a scientific field. Your decision might be different if you want to take the Patent Bar.

Generally speaking, I think you could go to a decent regional school in some markets and actually get a good scholarship.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:15:20 AM »
apply very, very broadly. like from WUSTL/Illinois range to the 70s. Anywhere you think you could live, apply to.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
apply very, very broadly. like from WUSTL/Illinois range to the 70s. Anywhere you think you could live, apply to.

I used to agree with this rationale completely, especially for sending applications, but I think you need to make sure you do market research.  What are the 20 largest firms in the market, how many associates have they hired over the past couple years, how many clerks?   Big firm hiring affects everything else down the chain.  Also, look to see if there are any state job hiring freezes.
Of course this is all speculative since you won't graduate for a few years, but be careful not to choose a horribly-flooded market. (Most markets are flooded, aside from North Dakota, but you get the idea.)

There are so many factors to look at, but new bar admissions is a good one.  Here's an inconclusive example, 4772 test takers passed the California bar in July of 2011.  That's 7,898 people in California for every one new admittee. (Cali might be different because many people get licensed there but don't practice there exclusively)   By contrast a small state like Utah had 300 July passers, or 9,390 residents for every one new admittee.   Colorado had 785 July passers, or 6518 residents for each new july admittee.    Missouri had 650 july passers, or 9247.21 residents for every one new admittee.