;

Poll

Which one is better?

Temple
 4 (80%)
Villanova
 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Where is better?  (Read 2184 times)

danahd

• View Profile
Where is better?
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Temple is ranked 61 while Villanova is ranked 84.
However in the past years they were usually around the same ranking but Nova had a scandal last year that caused them to drop in rankings. They claim that it shouldn't have an impact on the job market and that they believe that their rankings will go back up- but who knows.
I got a full scholarship to Villanova (which is aprox 40k a yr) and a nice scholarship to Temple as well (which is aprox 19k a year)

I'm torn on where to go- any suggestions?

sollicitus

Re: Where is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »
when in doubt take the free ride.

Think of it as two hot chick, but only will puts out and the other wants you to pay her bills for a handshake.

What you gonna do?

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
Above poster is correct the rankings really shouldn't play this big a factor in your decision. The rankings are a for-profit unregulated magazine offering an opinion. I graduated from law school in 2007 and my school was top 60 when I enrolled then to tier 3 in 08 or 09 can't remember and and now it is in the 11 way tie with Villa nova for 84th place. I guess they just released new rankings today though so maybe we jumped and I can demand a 20k raise because my school is ranked 74th now. That sounds reasonable right? 

Honestly, from my experience nobody cares about the difference between 60th, 70, 80th and so on. I am not from philly so maybe does matter there, but if it does I don't know if it matters 20,000 x 3 years=60,000 accruing 8% interest more.

I also want to point important thing out and that is no law school teaches you anything better or worse. Realistically every ABA school y teaches you the same exact thing. You take torts, contracts, civil procedure, con law, criminal law, LRW, property, criminal procedure. The law is the law no matter where you learn it.

I would take the money if I were you, but you should visit both schools and see how you feel about them. Each school has their own feel and you will have a gut reaction to each of them listen to that instinct. You are going to be at that school for three years and if the administrators, professors, students rub you the wrong way at Villanova don't go there. If you visit Temple and you hate it don't go there.

The rankings are just a magazine giving an opinion it should not play a very substantial factor in a life altering decision.

danahd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »
Legend, you're right. I really appreciate your input.
I have already visited Villanova and have plans to visit Temple next week so I'll see how it goes.

Thank you both for your input!

danahd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
After the past day's input, I was considering Nova over Temple.  HOwever, the 2012 rankings just came out, and now Temple climbed to 58, while Nova fell to 101.  I know that rankings aren't the biggest deal if it is just 10 or 20 spots, but what about 50... Especially because the trend has now been Nova falling for 3 years now...

Does this impact the decision I should make?

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
First off don't let me or any other internet poster or a magazine make a decision for you. Your going to live with this decision not me, not any internet poster, and neither will U.S. News magazine. Use your gut instinct when choosing your school.

As for the rankings schools jump or fall 50 spots in one or two years. There is an 8 way tie for 119th place now, which to me is absurd. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+5. Temple is also not 58th alone it is in a 4 way tie for 58th place. Villanova is in a 3 way tie for 101st place. It is very possible that Villanova will be ranked higher by the time you graduate in 2015. It is also very possible that it will not be. If you were dealing with schools that were continually in the T14 then the rankings might make a difference, but tier 2, 3, 4 schools move leaps and bounds within 3 years, which is how long your law school career will last.

Please don't make a decision based solely on the opinion of a private unregulated magazine. If you really believe Temple fits your situation then go there if you think Villanova fits your situation go there. I don't the methodology for U.S. News, but I imagine it is not very in depth considering schools jump 20-30 spots any given year. I can tell you my law school didn't change at all while I was there yet it dropped 20 spots my 2L then rose 12 spots my 3L and yet all the professors, dean, administrators, and my classmates remained the same.

If you really can't make a decision between the two schools then use the rankings, but using the rankings should be a last resort not a top priority.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »

Think of it as two hot chick, but only will puts out and the other wants you to pay her bills for a handshake.

What you gonna do?

Did you really just make this analogy?

As ridiculous and inaccurate as it is, he right.  The rankings are not the only thing to consider, both schools have really good markets in PA.  Are you a Nervous Nelly or what?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
Here is another analogy to your situation. U.S. News doesn't just rank law schools they rank everything. For example the top 10 cities for well-being. http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/the-best-life/2012/03/07/top-10-us-cities-for-well-being. Should you move to Provo, Utah because U.S. News said you will be happy there? I imagine you see the absurdity in that. Law school is no different, but so many 0L's don't take the magazine for what it is a magazine. I'm sure Provo, Utah is great, but I have no plans to move there and U.S. News naming it a top 10 city for well-being is not going to result in me making a life altering decision by moving to Provo, Utah or any of the top cities for well-being.

I see so many 0L's make this mistake of caring so much about a magazine and it is just such a bad idea. Please use your common sense. You were smart enough to get into law school so I know you have it, but it is up to you to use it. Look into what the schools offer for example if you want to do mock-trial competitions and Villanova offers them and Temple doesn't then that is something to consider. If you want to do Tax-Law and Temple offers a Tax-Clinic then that should be a factor. Really look in depth at the schools and the costs when making your decision what a magazine that knows nothing about you, your situation, your interests and so on thinks should be very low on your priority list.

However, it is possible I am completely wrong I am just a person offering an opinion just like U.S. News and I'm sure someone out there thinks U.S. News is the end all by all. So scrutinize any advice I am giving as well and just really think about what you want, because your the one that will live with this decision.

Good Luck!

danahd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »
I certainly agree with you on the fact that it is just a magazine- my only fear is how people will look at my degree when I am looking for a job - from what I've heard many firms do look into a school's ranking. But, you are right, it should definitely not be a top priority.

Any yes, I definitely am a "nervous Nelly"...I just want to make sure I'm making the best choice.

I appreciate all your input.

sollicitus

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

What you gonna do?

Did you really just make this analogy?

As ridiculous and inaccurate as it is, he right.  The rankings are not the only thing to consider, both schools have really good markets in PA.  Are you a Nervous Nelly or what?

inaccurate but right........... ???