Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Female 0L Thinking of Air Force or Coast Guard JAG  (Read 4295 times)

soccerlaw

• View Profile
Female 0L Thinking of Air Force or Coast Guard JAG
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
I have been accepted to a TTT (ABA accredited) law school (full-ride) for this fall. I played a D1 sport in college, I have great vision, I run ultra-marathons and bike centuries, and I have a clean medical record. In short, I am in excellent physical condition. I am just wondering what I should do now as 0L to try and get into a JAG program? Does it help or hurt to be female for JAG positions? I'm looking  mainly at Coast Guard and Air Force but am willing to consider other branches as well.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Re: Female 0L Thinking of Air Force or Coast Guard JAG
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
Your physical fitness is exceptional. That's fantastic. But one's fitness level is only a small part of the selection process. You'll need to excel in class as well. With the contraction and realignment of private practice, public sector jobs have become highly competitive. Thus, you'll need to do very well in class in order to be selected.

The various service branches typically send out representatives to law schools to speak with interested students about their respective JAG programs. One of these information sessions would probably answer a lot of your questions. If you want to be more proactive, however, I would recommend calling a Coast Guard or Air Force recruiting office. I'm sure they would be happy to provide information regarding the steps involved in the process. Also, if you haven't already done so, you could probably find a lot of information on the Coast Guard and Air Force websites.

sollicitus

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
take the ASVAB and go from there.

Even if JAG dosn't take you, you can still join the reserves and get college paid for. Most likely as an officer, but if you go enlisted you can normally get undergrad loans forgiven too (at least in the army).  I knew a lot of guys who did that and entered as an E-4 and then went officer the next re-up or just went civie debt free.

Plus if you go enlisted there normally isn't a commitment requirment post graduation, officer tends to be in college plus 8 years post graduation.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
There's no need to take the ASVAB. That's simply an aptitude test to determine what job will fit you best.

soccerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
I have researched JAG information on both the AF and CG websites, I'm just a little confused by all the different application routes. I guess I'll try to go ahead and inquire directly.
As for Reserve/non-JAG military gigs I'm not really too interested as I only have negligible loans from undergrad (sport scholly) which I've just about payed off and I have a full-ride to a law school (albeit a T3-T4 school).
I'm mainly looking into JAG programs because I think that I might be able to have a slightly more active/exciting take on legal practice. Also, I'm just thinking that being able to meet/exceed the physical req's gives me an opportunity to perhaps qualify for a job that a large number of LS do not qualify for. In addition I would like the structure of military life, and the dependable pay and unique benefits.
I guess I'm just wondering if it is more or less competitive for women to get into JAG programs or if it doesn't really matter. I know that in the Army JAG it is about 25% female. I'm just curious of anyone happens to know.

sollicitus

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »
There's no need to take the ASVAB. That's simply an aptitude test to determine what job will fit you best.

Common mistake by civies about what  "aptitude" means.

You can [u]NOT[/u] take [u]ANY[/u] job in the military without taking the ASVAB first. They won't let  you. There is a minimum score to even get in at all, and line scores for each job requirment. It's not like the stoner high school counsler asking you to take a test that asks "what do you like" think of it like the GED and LSAT and GMAT all at once. The word "Aptitude" only confuses those who have no friggin' idea what they are talking about.

Don't trust me, look it up or ask your recruiting officer.

sollicitus

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
I have researched JAG information on both the AF and CG websites, I'm just a little confused by all the different application routes. I guess I'll try to go ahead and inquire directly.
As for Reserve/non-JAG military gigs I'm not really too interested as I only have negligible loans from undergrad (sport scholly) which I've just about payed off and I have a full-ride to a law school (albeit a T3-T4 school).
I'm mainly looking into JAG programs because I think that I might be able to have a slightly more active/exciting take on legal practice. Also, I'm just thinking that being able to meet/exceed the physical req's gives me an opportunity to perhaps qualify for a job that a large number of LS do not qualify for. In addition I would like the structure of military life, and the dependable pay and unique benefits.
I guess I'm just wondering if it is more or less competitive for women to get into JAG programs or if it doesn't really matter. I know that in the Army JAG it is about 25% female. I'm just curious of anyone happens to know.

It's equally competitve for both genders. You have to have the same GPA and LSAT scores, etc.
As for the physical fitness women have a lower standard and that part is "easier" (higher body fat index on average for the gender is the legal theory the military uses) and YES PT Scores ARE a factor in promotions and graduation from training schools. Also women get more money since they have an additional stripen for makeup and tampons that goes beyond the usual clothing allowance (I believe untaxable) If you speak another language (even spanish) they will pay you extra each month for that too.

But stricly asking about getting into the program, same level of difficulty as far as GPA and LSAT goes. Just easier PT requirments and more pay  once in.

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »
I've been out of the Marines for several years now, but last November, a few of my classmates and I participated as volunteer panelists in a JAG mock trial staged by the Army. It was a fantastic experience. The prosecutor was a brand new attorney, a butterbar lieutenant, and boy, was he nervous in the service. He was being trained by a very amusing female captain, a JAG of impressive composure, inner strength, and outer humor, who sat behind the prosecutor's table and continually kicked the lieutenant's chair with her boot, whispering, "Object! Object!" (They were in fatigues for the exercise.) She seemed very young to me, but she had a level of self-confidence and determination that would be the envy of all my female classmates, and would probably intimidate most of the males. But actually, everybody in the JAG corps blew my mind. I was very proud to have had the privilege to participate in their training exercise.

I don't know what it takes to become a JAG, but they were actively inviting us to inquire further. Talk to a recruiter, and don't limit yourself to just the Air Force or the Coast Guard. Talk to all of the branches. If you can get in with the Army or the Marines, you'll be doing the same thing. Very best of luck to you.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:29:39 PM »

You can [u]NOT[/u] take [u]ANY[/u] job in the military without taking the ASVAB first. They won't let  you. There is a minimum score to even get in at all, and line scores for each job requirment. It's not like the stoner high school counsler asking you to take a test that asks "what do you like" think of it like the GED and LSAT and GMAT all at once. The word "Aptitude" only confuses those who have no friggin' idea what they are talking about.

I served in the U.S. Army. So I'm not someone who lacks a basic understanding of how the process works. If a person has been admitted to practice law in any U.S. jurisdiction, why would that person need to take an ASVAB?

Apparently you're the one who is confused about the meaning of 'aptitude.' An aptitude test doesn't test knowledge but rather it tests ability. The ASVAB is much like the LSAT in that regard. What in the world could an ASVAB test determine about a possible JAG candidate that hasn't already been fully demonstrated by the candidate having already taken the LSAT, graduated from law school, and then passed the bar exam in at least one U.S. jurisdiction?

Officers do not take the ASVAB, period. The ASVAB is used to determine the vocational aptitude of enlisted personnel only.

sollicitus

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »

I served in the U.S. Army. So I'm not someone who lacks a basic understanding of how the process works. If a person has been admitted to practice law in any U.S. jurisdiction, why would that person need to take an ASVAB?

Apparently you're the one who is confused about the meaning of 'aptitude.' An aptitude test doesn't test knowledge but rather it tests ability. The ASVAB is much like the LSAT in that regard. What in the world could an ASVAB test determine about a possible JAG candidate that hasn't already been fully demonstrated by the candidate having already taken the LSAT, graduated from law school, and then passed the bar exam in at least one U.S. jurisdiction?

Officers do not take the ASVAB, period. The ASVAB is used to determine the vocational aptitude of enlisted personnel only.

fine, whatever god damn officer aptitude exam is required then. Wow, asswipe.
A third of the US population has served, nothing worth trying to feel important about. Did you also put on clean underpants all on your own today?

oh, and regardless my being prior enlisted (boohoo to me I guess) you were STILL wrong about the ASVAB requirment being "just to see what you are good at". (even if it applies to enlisted only and officers have a seperate exam). You were still wrong dummy. Get over it.
It is only like the LSAT in the fact that schools also have a minimum overall score (think 11B being the 150 of the lsat) The ASVAB also has line scores. They are REQUIRED for given jobs.

It DOES test knowledge IN ADDITION to ability. (how the hell can you claim to be a vetran and not know this, you must have been the most patheticly underqualified XO in the history of the US Service)
Here, let me spoon feed the baby a quote from their own GodDamn website......(dumbass)..... WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS WILL I BE ASKED ON THE ASVAB?
The ASVAB tests cover General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Numerical Operations, Coding Speed, Auto and Shop Information, Mathematics Knowledge, Mechanical Comprehension and Electronics Information.

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT MY SCORES MEAN, AND HOW ARE THEY USED?
No one passes or fails the ASVAB. However, to be considered for enlistment in the Army, you need to score at least a 31. Your scores will be provided to you on a report called the ASVAB Student Results Sheet, with additional information to help you understand your score.

I don't care what the normal definition of the word (that's why I called it a common mistake and spoon fed it to you like a mental patient on life support  hooked up to an IV)

And by the way I know for a God Damn fact WO's take the LSAT too, so not just enlisted. FuckingMoron.