Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Female 0L Thinking of Air Force or Coast Guard JAG  (Read 4908 times)

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Female 0L Thinking of Air Force or Coast Guard JAG
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
You called him an asswipe for politely correcting a mistake that made you sound like a complete fool?

Officers have an application process that does not include any kind of generalized test like the ASVAB, dumbass.  The thinking is, of course, the officer candidate went to college and picked a specialization there and can pick an MOS on their own.

OP, it is very dangerous to solely count on getting a JAG job.  I know all Coast Guard attorneys are reserve.  All the other branches have active and reserve attorneys, but JAG jobs are very competitive for a variety of reasons.  One of which is the insane experience you can get right out of the gate.  Bad for your clients, but soooo good for an aspiring baby attorney desperate to learn how to practice law.

As far a phys. fitness, the only branch where its a big deal is the Marines.  All the other branches, including the Coasties, have different standards for their non combat positions, because well JAG is non combat.  You'll go to a direct commission school for about 8 weeks(ish) and I think it can be done part time, but not sure.  Except the Marines, where you'll have to go to OCS, then Basic and then JAG because the Marines like everyone to be combat ready/trained.

If I were you, I'd research now, but wait until you start law school then try to use the alum network to track down a JAG lawyer school alum.  S/he can give info on the process.  Never completely trust the OSOs or any gov reps, they have an agenda. Do trust the JAG lawyer alum you can find, that person will likely not have an agenda and can help you.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

sollicitus

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
You called him an asswipe for politely correcting a mistake that made you sound like a complete fool?

Officers have an application process that does not include any kind of generalized test like the ASVAB, dumbass.  The thinking is, of course, the officer candidate went to college and picked a specialization there and can pick an MOS on their own.

OP, it is very dangerous to solely count on getting a JAG job.  I know all Coast Guard attorneys are reserve.  All the other branches have active and reserve attorneys, but JAG jobs are very competitive for a variety of reasons.  One of which is the insane experience you can get right out of the gate.  Bad for your clients, but soooo good for an aspiring baby attorney desperate to learn how to practice law.

As far a phys. fitness, the only branch where its a big deal is the Marines.  All the other branches, including the Coasties, have different standards for their non combat positions, because well JAG is non combat.  You'll go to a direct commission school for about 8 weeks(ish) and I think it can be done part time, but not sure.  Except the Marines, where you'll have to go to OCS, then Basic and then JAG because the Marines like everyone to be combat ready/trained.

If I were you, I'd research now, but wait until you start law school then try to use the alum network to track down a JAG lawyer school alum.  S/he can give info on the process.  Never completely trust the OSOs or any gov reps, they have an agenda. Do trust the JAG lawyer alum you can find, that person will likely not have an agenda and can help you.  Good luck.

He is claiming the ASVAB is an aptitude test in the general meaning of the word and not a requirment. I said where I believed I might be wrong, and proved where I wasn't. I can admit a mistake, others can't. Pretty simple. Not much more to it. As for PT, if you think there is a lower standard (maybe) but if you think any fattie can walk in with love handles and a belly full of ADD meds, you are plain out wrong. There is still a standard.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
How did you go from different standard (which of course it true versus any line or combat standard) to fattie with love handles? First, cosmetics have noting to do with it.  If you can do the PT and have love handles, that's just fine. 

The training is less, because they do not need to know how to say command an artillery battery or command a navigation station- their job is to practice law.  The Navy's Direct Commission School is in Providence, I think.  All med, law, professional officers go there rather than OCS or OTS, depending on the branch, because they do not do combat. 

As far as ADD meds go, yes you cannot go into the military with ADD. How did we get to this?  What does it have to do  with anything.  How can you go so far out side the matter at hand and expect people not to look at you like your off base?

Again, too broad to make any sense.  She couldn't go into JAG with three arms either.  What does that have to do with anything?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »

He is claiming the ASVAB is an aptitude test in the general meaning of the word and not a requirment.

To correct one point of error, I never claimed that the ASVAB test isn't a requirement for enlisted personnel. It is. But it is not a requirement for commissioned officers. Please don't twist my words out of proportion in hopes of shoring up your argument.

The OP was making an inquiry as to JAG's standards of acceptance. Your advising her to take the ASVAB was unhelpful. By pointing out that the ASVAB wasn't required for her purposes, I was simply attempting to redirect the discussion down a more fruitful path for the OP. 

sollicitus

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
There's no need to take the ASVAB. That's simply an aptitude test to determine what job will fit you best.

read second line. That is what we were argueing about. I get it that old people have short memories but let me remind you and warm your milk for the evening.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
Only two of the branches use the ASVAB, and that's for OCS only. The General Technical (Arithmetic Reasoning + Word Knowledge + Paragraph Comprehension) score is used to qualify for Army and Marines--110 and 115, respectively. Navy uses the Naval Officer Qualifying Test and the Air Force uses the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test. Note that neither the ASVAB nor the branch-specific qualifying test is necessary for ROTC graduates. But yes, they all use the ASVAB for enlisted personnel.

So, you were both partially correct and partially incorrect. Moving on?

e: Play nice or take it to Haterade.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.