Law School Discussion


Should I reconsider?

5 (100%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Should I reconsider?


Should I reconsider?
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
I have been weighing out my options and cannot make up my mind with all of these deadlines coming up and the limited options that I am being presented with. 

I can either attend Cooley, Nova, Phoenix, Loyola NO, NYLS, Nova; patiently wait on waitlists at Barry, Thomas Jefferson, Univ of San Francisco; wait on UDC, a few other schools, and CLEO prospects...

Or...retake the LSAT in June and apply early action to schools in October once applications open up.  With this option, are applicants that were denied at a particular school be frowned upon in the reapplication process?  Can letters of recommendation be reused through LSAC or do they need to be updated?  This option is viable and makes sense only because it means better school options, scholarship offers, and better job prospects without the hassle or risk of transferring schools.

It is so hard though considering I have put so much effort in this time around. And what would I do for an entire year? I cannot find temporary employment options anywhere online smh. Anyone that knows of any law firms needing clerical interns let me know. Lol.

And my current numbers are GPA 3.31(3.40) and LSAT 144.


  • ****
  • 200
    • View Profile
Re: Should I reconsider?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
This would be my advice register for the June LSAT and see how it goes. You have some acceptances under your belt and for now pay the deposit at the school you think is the best fit for you right now. Then study as hard as you can for the June LSAT.  If you do terrible you have your seat guaranteed that you paid the deposit to. If you pull a 160 then you might want to reevaluate your options, you might be out a $700 deposit, but it is better than waiting for another year and going through the application process again.

-I would check with any of the schools to make sure there are no consequences for doing this. I couldn't imagine there are you have nothing to lose and if your number simply goes up two or three points they would prefer to report a 147 to U.S. News than a 144.

Regardless of what you do I wouldn't wait another year, because the longer you wait to do something the less likely it is to happen. Law school is something you want to get over and done with to begin your career. It is a truly stressful decision and big commitment, but once it is over and you go to your first class your LSAT, all this other stuff won't matter you will be on your way to being an attorney.

With that said I would simply pay a deposit. Register for the June LSAT you will get your score by July 6th long before the first day of classes. and you will know your options. Good luck to you.

Re: Should I reconsider?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
Most, if not all of the schools you have listed, are currently embroiled in a massive class action lawsuit for deceptive and fraudulent job statistics (perform a simple Google search).  Your LSAT is very low.  Coming out of any of those schools is going to leave you 6 figures in non-dischargeable debt and dismal prospects.  I practice down here in Florida.  Barry is considered a joke.  Nova isn't much better.  I graduated from a T2 school with honors last May.  I found a job just before December.  I get paid 50K/year and have to hit 2000 billable hours per year (around 60 hours of actual work per week).  Luckily, I had a hefty scholarship that covered nearly all of my tuition.  Otherwise, I would be paying a thousand bucks a month to loan companies.  Law is wildly over-saturated market right now.  A recent NY Post article documented how Columbia and NYU grads are struggling to find jobs that pay 40K per year.  The true average starting salary of a lawyer is 40-50K.  You can make just as much money as a manager at Target, and that only requires a B.A.  My advice is to stay as far away from law school as you can.  But if you aren't going to listen to me (and you probably won't, because I have first hand experience, but you will undoubtedly feel as if you will somehow be the exception), then take a year off and study for the LSAT.  Truly study.  It's teachable.  I had your same GPA and, after taking some time off to study, I hit a 164.  I had some great scholarship offers as a result.  That makes my life as an overworked, underpaid attorney slightly less miserable.

But seriously, don't go to any of those schools.  If they are being sued, or about to be sued, you would be an idiot to even consider them.  If you absolutely must go to law school, go for free or nearly for free.  That means retaking the LSAT.  You don't need to graduate in 3 years, as the job market is going to be just as crappy as it is now.  Take a year off and study.  As an attorney, you will have to do your due diligence.  May as well start now.  I wish I would have.


  • ****
  • 1041
    • View Profile
Re: Should I reconsider?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
OP, did you get any scholarship offers?  Any family members own law firms?  I think that, statistically, your chances of the law school investment paying off are low unless you can graduate with limited debt or a guaranteed job.

Retaking the LSAT is a good idea if you are set on going to law school.